[Java] Enormous project, how best to get bug reports?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 17, 2011.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Right, so I'm working on a truly enormous project - biggest I've ever undertaken. It's called Worldz, which was inspired by Realmz, an old Mac OS 9 game. I recently released to my web site some VERY early code, which should work, but is also probably full of bugs. What's the best way to have testers submit bug reports to me, so I can fix them? Should I put up something like Bugzilla?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

You will need something like that, yes. At least for internal use. There are many systems to choose from, I've for example used Trac in a couple of projects with few complaints.

Anyways - It is not necessarily a good idea to let your testers submit bugs and feature requests directly into the system. It depends on a lot of factors, your testers in particular. In many cases a separate web form can be a good way to gather the data from users. The best way is usually project specific, try to consider how you want to work with bug reports as well as what your users actually would be capable of reporting.