"Java" Folder in my library

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by MacBH928, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

So I was browsing the library folder in Macintosh HD and there is a "Java" folder in it with another to folders within named "Extensions" and "JavaVirtualMachines" . No such folder is on the user/library .

Is this a normal folder of the MacOS or did I install Java by mistake somehow? I really don't want any Java or Flash my on computer

2. treekram macrumors 68000

On my 2014 Mini where Java is not installed, there is a /Library/Java folder with 2 empty directories - Extensions and JavaVirtualMachines (I checked for hidden files as well). On my other computers where I do have Java, these directories are populated. All these computers run Sierra. It looks like the date on the Extensions directory (created or modified) on the 2014 Mini is the date I updated Sierra to 10.12.6. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing files there.

3. Marc_S macrumors member

Marc_S

Safari uses Javascript for websites. Don't worry all ok

4. chabig macrumors 603

It's normal for those folders to be there. If you haven't installed Java, they're empty.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacBH928

There is a difference between Java and Javascript. Java is like a plugin that cauess all sorts of issues with your computer.