Java & Javascript Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rowf, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Rowf macrumors regular

This is on a clean install of Lion but it's not really a Lion question, more of an attempt at understanding Java and Javascript.

So, Lion is shipped without Java but in Launchpad there is a Java Preference panel.
    If I click on the preference panel it gives me the option to install Java, which I have not done.
    Thinking that Java is not installed, so I don't need the Java boxes ticked in Safari, I unticked both of them.
    Then I went to a television streaming site and a message popped up saying that I need Javascript enabled to stream.
    I ticked the box to enable Javascript in Safari and the site streamed fine.

So how does the browser 'read' Javascript if Java is not installed, I thought it was all one and the same?

Do I need to install Java?
    I haven't experienced any problems without it so I'm guessing not but I always had it installed as a matter of course on Windows.

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

Javascript and Java have nothing to do with each other. The two are completely different languages and technologies.

Javascript runtimes are built-in to most broswers. Unlike Java which relies on browser plugins.

Most end users have no need whatsoever for Java. Whereas Javascript is required by the vast majority of websites.