Java JDK and JVM is apple giving up on this??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrs1986, Apr 21, 2011.

1. mrs1986 macrumors regular

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and i have some concerns about a MBP 13" (sorry for my english is a little poor but i make all that is at my reach)

I read in some places, forums, blogs, that apple was a little behind realeasing the JDK's and JVM's, is that all true?? i could not see any thread from this year about this, and it is really a big point in my decision about the mac, now i'm a pc user, and i really like the macbook pro, actually, i'm looking and looking for a new laptop and it's impossible to see anyone that i like more than the MBP 13" (cause i cant afford the 15" :D).
    Well, it's my big problem, i'm in the University right now and im learning Java, for the first two years and this mac should serve me well for at least 3 or 4 years, and if it's not capable of running the latest java is like wasted money to use windows all the time in such a nice machine...

Well, i hope some of you can understand what i tried to write :eek:

:apple::apple::apple:

Bye to all.

2. reil macrumors newbie

i develop java at work on a mac and was concerned about this too but apple has joined OpenJDK and i believe they plan on submitting all the changes they have made there, and will no longer provide direct support.

So i imagine in the future, you'll just have to install the OpenJDK instead.

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I teach Java at a University as well as develop in Java for my consulting business. You won't have any issues. You have a number of options:

-Grab Eclipse for OS X and have at it. I use Eclipse w/Google Window Builder and it works great. I can take my code and load it into Eclipse for Windows with zero problems.

-If you are worried you can get either VMWare, Parallels, or VirutalBox to run Windows as a VM alongside OS X. Virtualbox is free while the other two are dirt cheap for students. Also, I bet your University is selling Windows 7 dirt cheap as well.

-Worse case, you can buy Windows 7 and then install it via Boot Camp. This will work but its really no better than the VM solution.

I was worried when Apple deprecated Java but -fingers crossed- the Java support will migrate to OpenJDK.

If I may also suggest: Mine your bookstore for some great software deals. Adobe Products, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, and Visual Studio are all great products for students/programmers.

You will never again get them this cheap and it gives you a broad range of experience. Visual Studio is actually a very nice IDE. Regardless of the Microsoft haters here, VS experience will only help you in the long run. There are many shops that still use VB, C#, and VC++. The more on your resume the better your chances for a job.

Cheers,
    -P

4. goMac macrumors 603

Sun has already announced they will be taking over Java for OS X. No need to panic.

5. mrs1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, so i can be confidence on buying the Macbook Pro :D!

Thats actually really nice.

@Pentad - I´m from Uruguay, and here there is not any kind of discount on any item he he. I´m buying the mbp in the usa trough a friend that is travelling in a month or so....

I been told that eclipse is really nice, but, i need to be able to trasnport my code to netbeans that is the used in the lab machines (windows all of them), and for that matter i need the netbeans IDE just in case that i have some kind of problem porting the code to netbeans later or something.

BTW, i need to do that cause one of the "challenges" of the course is to be able to re do some of the code, change what the program does, all live while the teachers are looking at you :D

Thanks for the replies to all, you were very helpfull!!! (sorry for my english again)

P/D: Do you guys think that the macbook will do the job just fine to me?? I mean, i can buy the mbp or the mb+(console to play some games)

6. cube macrumors G5

Apple has given up on Java many years ago already.

7. mrs1986 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean with that??

8. cube macrumors G5

Cocoa Bridge.

9. mrs1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i´m searching for that. I dont know what it means xD