Java not responding in Safari

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Running 10.9.1 and latest build of Java.

I have been unable for the past couple of weeks to run java in Safari or for that matter, Firefox. In activity monitor says its not responding.

How can I get java working again?

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Go into System Preferences, Java pane send enable it to show in browsers.
It is enabled. It goes as far as asking me to run application. I say run but nothing happens except a blank page. Then in activity monitor I see javaAppletplugin not responding. Same process for Firefox.

Attachments

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It is enabled. It goes as far as asking me to run application. I say run but nothing happens except a blank page. Then in activity monitor I see javaAppletplugin not responding. Same process for Firefox.
TIFF has been an integral part of the OS X graphics system since it was known as NeXTstep. You do not need a third-party viewing application to handle TIFF files. Without that little Java app, Safari just works as a TIFF viewer.

Leaving aside the wisdom or lack thereof of using a third-party viewer app to replace OS X built-in functionality, my experience with Java apps using Oracle's Java 1.7 VM is that Java 1.7 is a PITA. It usually works, but.... In fact, I am not convinced that the unnecessary ViewTIFF app is not working on your system. My firm requires a browser-based Java app to access its database. After the app launches, the browser window is blank. The Java app looks like a standalone application while it is running. Be sure that you are not overlooking the running app behind your other application windows.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Here is the message I get in console:

2/24/14 10:19:17.407 AM java[5349]: objc[5349]: Class JavaLaunchHelper is implemented in both /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java and /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/jli/./libjli.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Which one should it be in?