Java not working on new mac, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nerooo, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Nerooo macrumors newbie

First off, this is my first mac ever so suggestions on what to do are welcome.

Now to get to the point; First thing i did is mess with my system preferances of course, but afterwards I downloaded adobe and java. Of course, with my luck i run into an issue. After installing Java, it doesnt even seem to read it. Through the verification page that shows up after the install it's easy to tell. It's clearly installed, considering it's picked up by my browser in the sense that I can enable/disable it; although this does nothing. Here are some "solutions" I tried:

- Disabling and re-enabling it in Safari since it was already enabled (Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Enable JavaScript)
    - Closing Safari and re-opening it.
    - Googling it instead of going directly to the website.
    - Trying a new browser (Firefox; had issues with this as well, will explain in a moment.)
    - Turning Firewall off.

Of course, non worked. For the few things I'd use Java for many of you would think it isn't an issue, but I just hate putting issues like this aside because I will eventually run into it again and it will potentially be worse. For the issue with Firefox, it was nearly the same, except it would begin to read/run applications that required it but soon enough get an error. I tried the same solutions on firefox that I did with Safari, to no avail.

Help me out MacFamily.

Thanks!

2. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Just to clarify, Java and JavaScript are two different things. When you say: "After installing Java, it doesnt even seem to read it. " what is "it", or really the two "it"s :)? What are you trying to do with Java that isn't running? Is it browser based?

Under System Preferences, if you've installed Java, there's typically the Java control panel. Is this there?

3. Nerooo thread starter macrumors newbie

My mistake, haha let me fix that

"After installing Java, my browser (or computer for that matter) doesnt even seem to read/pick up on it (Java)."

It's evident through the verification on Java's website; after you download Java you are redirected to a page that requires Java to run, and it's through this that you confirm you have the proper version. Just to make sure though, I tested it on another site, the easiest I myself could think of, http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and it did not work either, suggesting that there's an obvious issue.

And to answer your final question, yes, it's there.

4. r.harris1, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

The Java plugin for Safari is managed via the Internet-plugins section of the Security tab in Safari's preferences. The website you list above appears to be Windows-only, and not OS X, as a requirement for it to run (though it can utilize Safari, presumably Windows-based).

Try this one: http://javatester.org/version.html and you will likely see a message that says "Java blocked for this website" or something similar. If you see this message and you click it, you'll see a window that pops up asking you to trust or not. If you trust, it will add it to the list of "OK" websites that you can also modify in the Internet-plugins section (Manage Website Settings button). That's also where you can specify the behavior of the browser when visiting websites that require Java.

See if any of this works and how far you get.

5. Nerooo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, beautiful. It all worked fine, even when I tested this at the Java website http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Thank you so much. It was basically never "broken" at all, I just wasn't sure how to work it I guess. I only made a big deal out of it as I hate having issues with anything, especially any new purchases.

You're a great contribution to the community, thanks again!

6. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Happy to help! Enjoy your new Mac!