Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Im having a small problem with IE 5.1. Defalt JAVA is turned off. When I turn it on it works fine. But then if I close the Application and start it up again... JAVA is turned off again. Any one else have this problem?? I think I need to change over to Netcape 6.2. I would hate to do that... its a bit bloated.

ormerlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2001
I am running into some problems with JAVA in general under OS X. I don't know if you are running OS X, or a previous OS? I have a ton of friends who get together and chat in Yahoo chat rooms, and no browser I have found for OS X will launch the JAVA applet there. Any suggestions?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I can get it to work.....

I can get JAVA applets to lanuch if I go and manualy turn on JAVA in the IE brower prefrences. Then I can go and reload the site in question. It works fine. But if I go and restart IE... JAVA is turned off again. Mybe there is a system preffrence that turns it off by defalt. I will have to look into that. ... oh and yes... I am running OS X.

ormerlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2001
That is interesting, mine always seems to be turned on when I launch IE. I was testing that last night, but my pages still don't load. I will just have to do some more research, and see what I can come up with!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
me too

I've been having the same problem with mine. I can't do much involving java applets with IE 5.1...

maybe this should be on Apple's website or macfixit?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
more problems

I cant use WMP with IE 5.1 ether!! When I go in a manualy make the new version of WMP the "helper app" for .wmp files, it works fine. When Then If I close EI 5.1 and pring it back up... my changes dont stay.. I have to do it again... the same thing with JAVA. The MS download site says they have a new version that came out recently (version 5.1.3) I have verion 5.1.2. But it is not available for download yet. I guess we well have to see. Nectacpe is not doing any better!

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
yahoo wont work?

Originally posted by ormerlin
I have a ton of friends who get together and chat in Yahoo chat rooms, and no browser I have found for OS X will launch the JAVA applet there.
i run OS 9 and i also go to yahoo chat all the time, it's bad enough netscape won't load yahoo chat, i have to (nooooo) use ie. i've just ordered os x, i guess i'll have to lauch classic.

anyway, if it Y chat doesn't work on X, and also not in netscape 6 for os 9, it sounds like a yahoo error. i think i'll contact them on that...
have you tried IE 5.0? that's available for x isn't it?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
As long as your writing Yahoo...

Tell them we need an OSX version of Messenger too...I am getting tired of the classic program when it is about the only classic program I still use...MSN Messenger and AIM are OSX.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
switch to Fire!

I was tired of having Yahoo! messenger launch in Classic, as well. Then this morning I tried "Fire". Fire is free, OS X native and works with Yahoo, AOL, IRC, ICQ and MSN all at the same time.

So long as it keeps working as smooth as it does, I'll never go back. You can find it here: http://www.epicware.com

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I suspect it's something to do with the file:

com.apple.internetconfig.plist

Which you'll find in Users/'user name"/Library/Preferences

This stores most of the startup settings for Internet Explorer.

Try quitting Internet Explorer, moving the file to your desktop and then relaunching Internet Explorer. You should find that your IE preferences have been reset. This may solve your problem. (If it doesn't work, you might as well copy the old internetcofig file back on top of the new one IE just created.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
update

I was actually able to get my IE 5.1 for X to work with java applets...

apparently the selection to use java was turned off on the preferences...

I think I read that somewhere around here in the thread?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
my problem is

my problem is that once I turn on Java and set what heloper applications open what kinds of files and then i restart IE 5.1, it all gets reset. I guess I will have to check out that
Users/'username"/Library/Preferencescom.apple.internetconfig.plist
file that Foocha pointed out. Maybe its corrupt or the permissions are wrong. I guess I will have to wait till I get home to check it out.

Thanks

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
problem update

Lat night after gave me a sugestion, I trashed my Users/'username"/Library/Preferencescom.apple.internetconfig.plist
file and started IE 5.1 up again. After setting everything back up the way that I like it, I realized that JAVA was not turned ON my default and it stays ON! (even after I start it up again) but I still have the problem of telling it what helper apps to use in the event of a file. Example: when I try to view a wmp file classic mode starts up but I have the latest wmp for OS X installed. Kinda sucks. Like I said before when I go in and tell it to use wmp for OSX it works fine, but when I start up IE 5.1 again... all my settings are back to default.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: switch to Fire!

Originally posted by oldMac
I was tired of having Yahoo! messenger launch in Classic, as well. Then this morning I tried "Fire". Fire is free, OS X native and works with Yahoo, AOL, IRC, ICQ and MSN all at the same time.

So long as it keeps working as smooth as it does, I'll never go back. You can find it here: http://www.epicware.com

I just installed it today on my TiBook.....so far it's fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.