Java problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob2131, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi

im using a website which requires java.
    But the site is not working properly.
    The website owner has given me instruction to clear java cache.
    But the help guide does not match my osx 10.5.4 settings/configs window.

When i try to follow the instructions as close as possible, i get
    "application java quit unexpectidly"

they are telling me to clear jar cache, clear, delete temp files.
    When i try to delete temp files, thats when it crashes.

Anyone help?

thankyou

should i update safari? i cant seem to, there is no option within safari, and apple software update doesnt mention it either.
    im running 3.1.2 safari.

Im running 10.5.4 osx, ive never updated this, as all my other 3rd party software will be affected, and they will run into issues im sure, so ive resisted. But can i update my browsers to latest versions but still use my older 10.5.4?
    I dont want to have to update my browsers and then it says i NEED to update osx too to make it all work.

My opera browser is kinda slow too. (and old im sure)

2. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

You would better off updating to 10.5.8 and the latest safari for that system version and latest java update for 10.5 requires 10.5.8.

Safari 3.1.2 was slow for me at when I was using it.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

if i update osx, and i encounter more problems with other software, can i go back to my current version (before the update?)

4. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

The only way I am aware to go back is do an achive and install and update to 10.5.4 again. I have tried apps that clone the hard drive with little to no luck so I am a non user of those apps.

One thing you could try is check the hard disk for errors via disk utility and running repair permissions these have fixed small issues for me in the past. If any errors are found you will need to boot your mac from the install dvd and repair via disk utility whilst booted from the dvd.

I personally didn't see too many issues with the system when I was running 10.5.8 and all the current updates. Some apps did have issues themselves at the time.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cant java be updated or something by itself?
    on pc, java updates are a separate thing.
    or do i HAVE to update osx to get java fix?

ive just updated opera, opera works fine, but still that java problem.

I use super duper to clone (back up) my macbook,
    thinking of making an up to date clone on external....
    then update macbook to newer osx, see how it works with everything.
    If problematic, then clone the old version from the super duper clone...and plan how to make the update in future more smoother.

theres a thing called sand box too, where you can test updates before making them on main drive, might look into that too.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whatever your "problem" is, it does not stem from having a fully-updated installation of MacOS X 10.5. Update your OS to MacOS X 10.5.8 with all applicable security updates installed. All of them.

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi again

i made a sandbox on an external drive (super duper),
    booted from that, updated to 10.5.8

and the java problem was still there, when i try to delete temp files, java crashes, and that website that requires java still does not work. on up to date safari or up to date opera browsers.

the other updates were:
    pro apps update, plug in manager, which relate to the pro apps like logic etc, so i didnt do those as of yet....

8. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Can you try this make a new account using 10.5.8 as a test account and see if the java problems are still there.

It could be any number of things but ruling one by one out will track the problem/s down.

With the test account try the site with safari and opera again as these will have no previous settings which could a cause of the problem.

Lets know who you get on as I have a few more ideas to help find the cause.

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks

interesting idea.
    i have a separate account on my 10.5.4
    tried it now, safari almost worked, java didnt crash, but the website didnt work either, firefox didnt work, opera didnt work.

jnlp files are what get downloaded when i try to open this website.
    maybe ive downloaded so many its messed something up.

so i should boot from 10.5.8 on external and make a new account?
    would this take up alot of extra space, and could i delete it after?

10. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

It sounds like something has been corrupted at sometime which can be fairly hard to fix easily.

Yes please try a new account on the external 10.5.8 it should only take up a few hundred meg if that as you can remove it if not needed later.

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried it, didnt work, on safari or opera (all on 10.5.8_new user account).

now im still on 10.5.4 on mac internal drive.

maybe if i uninstall opera and re-install?

or say if i download google chrome (i havnt download this yet).

12. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

That may or may not work with chrome if java install or some plist files are corrupt it may not work either but would be worth a try.

The install you have on the external drive does it contain all your data eg: documents, photos, music etc?

The next thing to try if chrome sees the same issue is to re-run the java update and see if makes any difference.

I also check the java update 7 for 10.5 requires 10.5.8 to be installed for it to work correctly.

Lets know what happens as I have more things to try before taking the last resort step of doing an archive and install of the system and all currently available updates.

13. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the bootable external is called a sandbox, its just the system files etc, and it shares the apps and user files with main internal drive i belive, as the total size of sandbox is 90gb, but my internal is over 400gb.

i also have a separate full clone, for safety.

i dont want to have to start using chrome, i have 3 diff browsers on my mac that ive been forced to use at various times, things get messy and hard to manage.

i read on another forum someone used their mac install disc to re install the java app, could i do this?

re run the java update? ive never done this, i dont know how to update java.

i tried repair permissions too.

14. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

You could try using the install disc to re-install the first java version that came with the install disc or download the java update 8 from here

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL971

It says 10.5.8 is required for the install

the install will ask for your password during the install.

I am pretty sure it may not work with system version lower than 10.5.8 and if it does could very well cause problems be it corruption or browsers and other apps that require java not to work correctly.

15. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

good find! how about just downloaded the current java version im using, from the apple site? theres loads there

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#java

These are the current ones listed in my java preferences in Utilities.
    J2SE 5.0
    JS2E 1.4.2

SO im thinking just try downloading these...any thoughts?

We dont need the latest java updates, the website owner themselves say when you update your browswer, their site stops working and they have to find solutions.

just tried all relevant ones, they dont install, seems none of those downloads cater for 10.5.4.
    ill try the install disc when i find it.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I will repeat my earlier exhortation that you run Software Update to fully update MacOS X 10.5 to MacOS X 10.5.8. Java is an integral part of MacOS X. Like every other part of MacOS X, it is updated using Software Update. It it doesn't show-up in Software Update, then you can't install it.

17. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i updated to 10.5.8 on external, the problem was still there. Java website was not working. Ill try updating Java from apple website on this new version of osx to see if that does it.

18. bob2131, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i created a sandbox of my system on external.

i updated to 10.5.8 osx

java crashes on this website, deleting temp files crashes java.

i tried to update to latest java 8, it said i first need update 5.
    so i get update 5 java....same problems.

so then i get update java 8 the latest one.
    same problems.

this website does not work that requires java.
    when i try to delete temp files in java preferences, java crashes.

so i do not need to update osx to 10.5.8, it does not solve the problem.

19. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a