Java program > .app

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by CPOStudios, May 21, 2008.

1. CPOStudios macrumors newbie

Say I've designed a Java application in NetBeans IDE, with GUI, etc. How would I build a Mac .app file out of it? I have no experience programming on Mac OSX really. I'm sure there is no quick answer, but it'd be cool to be pointed to a tutorial or something.

Also, I looked into this a while ago, but is there a free option for creating icons for Mac apps? All I have is Photoshop CS2.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

If you have a Mac with OS X 10.5 and Developer Tools installed look at:

Developer > Utilities > Jar Bundler

(There are variants on pre-10.5 OS X installs, but I don't have one handy to check)

It's fairly self-explanatory except for the third tab Properties - the Mac meta info stuff.

Most critical is the "Identifier" which is simply reverse-domain like in Java for a com.<company/person name>.<app name> string.

Get info string is usually just a copyright and/or human-readable version string.

If you want a really Mac-like Java app there are various Java classes you can add to get a proper menu bar, About window and Preferences support out on the Internetubes.

4. CPOStudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'm fairly new to programming on Mac and I'm fully moving to Mac programming (it's the only OS I use, just finished a Computer Science 101 AP class in highschool and loved it).

Do you know of a specific place to get classes to make my GUI more Mac savvy? I'm sure a quick Google would do it, just want to make sure I get the best.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

http://developer.apple.com/document...Guidelines/XHIGIntro/chapter_1_section_1.html

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

7. foidulus macrumors 6502a

It existed at least since Panther, but if you are still running Jaguar you probably should address that before jumping into programming:p

8. CPOStudios thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this has been extremely helpful. I did all the programming on a Windows laptop at school, so I wasn't really aware of the Mac dev tools available. Much thanks, I'm very excited about getting into programming on my Mac. :)