Java question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Aug 1, 2013.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

i have a 2011 iMac running 10.8.4 and a early 2007 MBP running 10.7.5. They both have safari 6.0.5 installed. the build on the MBP is (7536.30.1) on the iMac its (8536.30.1)
    I log into work via java/rdp. both systems are running the same version of java, Java 7 update 25 and the browser plug in is the same 1.7.0.25.
    I checked in the java prefs in system prefs...all setting on both machines are the same. however....
    I can connect with my older MBP, however, when i try with the iMac, i get a unable to resolve to (my work ip).
    any ideas? id much rather log in on a 27" screen.....

thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This doesn't sound like it's Java-related at all, so I'll start by asking questions along that route: Are both the iMac and MBP on the same network and connection method (both wired or both Wi-Fi) when doing the tests? Also check the DNS settings on both computers; this can be found in System Preferences -> Network.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

they are on the same network. iMac is connected via ethernet, MBP connected via wifi. I have my router (Airport extreme) set up to use Open DNS.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try switching the iMac over to Wi-Fi and testing. Does that work? If so, you've identified a possible culprit.

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried switching the MBP over to ethernet, and disabled wifi. Was still able to connect. unable to so far on the imac.