Java questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexwei, Aug 27, 2013.

1. alexwei macrumors regular

Hi there,

I just found out that I don't have java installed on my mac but I can still run minecraft on my mac without any problem.

I'm just curious about how come I can run it since it's been said everywhere that in order to play minecraft you have to have java?

By the way, I have flash player installed. Do flash player and java work the same way?

Thanks..

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would imagine Minecraft comes with the components you need to run the game, but also would be surprised if you don't actually have Java installed on your machine.

3. alexwei thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but I checked on java's website to see if I have java and it showed that I'm missing plug-in.

It's really strange.. I seriously don't know how this works.. =_=

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Two, different things. You can have the Java runtime installed to run local apps like Minecraft, and still not have the Java Internet plugin installed.

That Java website only shows the version of the plugin.

Run the command below in Terminal and it will show you the version of the Java runtime you have.

Code:
    java -version

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Ahhh, ok, like the above poster said you probably have Java components in there but not the full package, like you could have Adobe Reader installed but not the full Adobe Suite.

6. alexwei thread starter macrumors regular

Got it!!!

Thanks for your help!!!! ;)

----------

Yeah, I've learned something today!! :p

Thanks for the reply too!! :)

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I think ML does neither come with a JRE nor JDK by default. But the first time you invoke java on a terminal command or run an application that has dependency with java, ML will offer to download and install it. It will install jdk and jre version 6. If you need jdk/jre 7 then you need to download it from Oracle website.

Note, some apps have a local jre directory under their top directory. The application is generally run through a shell script that invokes the java binary (located under the local jre directory) with the java main class as the argument...

My 2cents...