Java running in 1.5 instead 1.6, why?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gustavopi, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gustavopi macrumors member

Hello! I'd put Java 1.6 at the top of the list in "Java Preferences" because some web applet are requiring 1.6 (as homebanking) but the browsers pick 1.5 version instead!

When I make a simple version test, both Safari and FireFox returns 1.5. So the setting is not working (I reboot OS allready). What else can I do?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just drag the latest driver to the top in Java Preferences to make the one that is tried first. Safari will use that version first unless the web site tells it to use an older version.

3. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

Hi. I did put the 1.6 version in the top. Now, plus I deactivate all previous versions, leave only 1.6. I'd run the test again in FireFox (http://javatester.org/version.html): the window didn't show any version, and after a while, FireFox crashed. Wow!

Now I'm looking for a 1.6 32 bit non-Apple version, have you see some around?

Thank you.

4. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

is getting worse...

I'd install Java for Mac OS 10.5 Update 8. Didn't change anything. Seems like nothing changes. People told me that may be some corrupted file of system. Maybe installing all full Java for Mac, but couldn't found a "standalone" installer.

Other options are: re-installing all system (a real disaster!!!) or upgrading to Snow Leopard (more money and may work, may not)...

Help!

5. gustavopi, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

No more ideas? I thought I had brought an interesting challenge to the forum... everybody but me re-install all system when something goes whrong with Java for Mac???