Java SE 6 is available on 64-bit, Intel-based Macs only.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by cogmission, Oct 25, 2008.

1. cogmission macrumors newbie

Can someone please confirm whether this includes the new Uni-body Macbook Pros?

Thanks in advance

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

The new Macbooks and Macbook Pros have the Intel processor, so it should be. I just checked software updates and I don't see a Java update.

3. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

There are a whole slew of posts on the topic of whether these are 64-bit however - so my concern is whether these qualify as the "64-bit" machines Apple is talking about?

4. mufflon macrumors 6502

The question of whether or not they are 64 bit was settled more or less ages ago: they are 64 bit and has been so for atleast as long as apple used C2D afaik

5. cogmission thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you. Though to be argumentative :), I must point out that their "64-bit"ness is highly debatable, but I'll let it drop at that...

Thanks again - sincerely!

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

7. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Java on MacBook Air

I'm about to find out whether Java SE 6 will run on the Core 2 Duo in a 1.86GHz MacBook Air which one of our staff has bought. It certainly wasn't out of the box, but I've just applied the JavaforMacOSX10.5Update2 package, so we'll see if that makes a difference... will report back soon.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nice thread bump. Yes it does come preinstalled but because it is only the 64bit version it won't work in Safari or other 32bit browsers.