Java - Textpad alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Labhras, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm taking an introductory course to Java programming, the teacher suggested Textpad for windows due to the ability to compile and run in the program itself, but no Mac alternatives.
    I wanted to know the best - and free, alternative possibile, with mostly the same functions of Textpad.
    I've heard of Xcode, TextWrangler and Textmate, but being a novice I don't really see the difference between them - considering we're doing just the basics for now I wanted advice on the ideal software.

Thank you all for your help!

2. 960design macrumors 68020

It depends on your needs:
    I use ( err... used ) Eclipse professionally for Java development.

One of my favorite IDEs for java development was NetBeans.

I now dable in java with Atom and just use terminal for compile and run ( not a a recommend work flow, just what I do for very small, completely separate test projects ).

For a learning IDE I recommend you start with something simple like BlueJ and finds its limitations and strengths. From there you will know what you need or want in a more production level IDE. BlueJ was built to be forgiving and user friendly to new programmers. Trying to learn how to just write code and more specifically a new language; while also learning the development environment to use it in can quickly overwhelm a new programmer. Think of trying to learn to paint within the lines with no lines. Add on top of that, not knowing what a paint brush, canvas or even what colors are.

3. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

I tried NetBeans for some time, then I turned to Eclipse on all my platforms.
    It's probably the only 3rd party product that never let me down.
    ;JOOP!

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

If your learning Java I'd stick to a good text editor - Sublime Text, Atom etc. After you've got the basics then move onto an IDE.

Trying to learn IDE and Java ( or any language ) just adds extra complexity.

Good free Java IDEs include:
    Eclipse, IntelliJ Community
    These will add features found in XCode, plus more. ( I personally wouldn't use XCode for Java programming )

5. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advices - in relation to the editor:
    one of the exercises given by the professor was to be able to input something from the keyboard to have a result, i.e. asking the numbers of attendees, typing said number and getting the text with the total number.
    Now, since we were using Windows, we used the command prompt to do so - write the code, input the number, and get the result.
    I'm currently using Textmate since it was suggested in class, but I can't seem to properly run everything. While trying to run what was given in class I get errors, and using the code from a textbook for a similar exercise resulted in text only, without the possibility to type anything.
    Is it impossible to do something like this with Textmate or do I need to set some option/download a bundle I'm unaware of?
    Thanks for your help

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Impossible to determine from your post. What exactly are the errors your getting - a few screens may help also

7. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Sure. I tried with a new code - and while I don't get any errors, I still can't input anything. Is there something I'm not doing with Textmate?
    I attached the first one as well.

Attached Files:

8. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

I might have found the reason why that kept happening - apparently TextMate doesn't support interactive input anymore, and the fix offered on the blog doesn't apply for software after Snow Leopard.
    The only software I have found so far able to offer this is Coderunner - do any of you know of a free solution able to offer this as well?

9. mikepolinske macrumors newbie

mikepolinske

I recommend IntelliJ IDEA.

It is a very good IDE with auto-complete and many plug-ins.

I've tried Eclipse a few times, but it never appealed to me.

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Find someone who can show you how to run Java without a GUI.

I find I'm always more productive if I understand what I'm doing well enough to just do it on a command line (and I can normally do it faster on a command line than with a GUI, too).