Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrocramp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
I have a mid-2010 MBP with i7 and 8GB RAM, SSD, OSX 10.7.5. I've been trying to get Minecraft working on it for my kids, but when launching Minecraft a message throws up that I need a Java Runtime Environment. When I do that, the JRE downloads, starts to install, but then hangs at "optimizing system for performance" about 80% through. Not even a command-option-escape will respond. I have to do a hard reset by pressing and holding down the power button to reboot.

From the command line I do a java -version, and it says not runtime is installed and again prompts me to install it (if i follow through the system hangs every time). From the java console in Utilities, it says i have java 7 update 10. Not sure if it matters, but i have both firefox and chrome installed as well (in case there is some plugin that is corrupt).

How can I completely uninstall java so I can do a fresh install? I followed some tips on the web to drag the java applet to the trash, but that didn't seem to work. I'm thinking I need to reinstall OSX. Irritating...for a simple Minecraft game!!

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I have a mid-2010 MBP with i7 and 8GB RAM, SSD, OSX 10.7.5. I've been trying to get Minecraft working on it for my kids, but when launching Minecraft a message throws up that I need a Java Runtime Environment. When I do that, the JRE downloads, starts to install, but then hangs at "optimizing system for performance" about 80% through. Not even a command-option-escape will respond. I have to do a hard reset by pressing and holding down the power button to reboot.

From the command line I do a java -version, and it says not runtime is installed and again prompts me to install it (if i follow through the system hangs every time). From the java console in Utilities, it says i have java 7 update 10. Not sure if it matters, but i have both firefox and chrome installed as well (in case there is some plugin that is corrupt).

How can I completely uninstall java so I can do a fresh install? I followed some tips on the web to drag the java applet to the trash, but that didn't seem to work. I'm thinking I need to reinstall OSX. Irritating...for a simple Minecraft game!!

To uninstall, simply trash JavaAppletPlugin.plugin, which is located in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Then download from http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en and install. Good luck.

astrocramp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
To uninstall, simply trash JavaAppletPlugin.plugin, which is located in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Then download from http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en and install. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, but for whatever reason it still has the same behavior. I deleted the file, reinstalled from the link, and for whatever reason OSX doesn't "see" the JRE and prompts to install. When I do, my entire system freezes with no option but for hard reset. Wondering if I need to wipe my system clean.

javaenthusiast

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Terminal/command line Java Runtime (JRE) from Oracle requires JDK

Hello,

[you need the JDK]

The Java Runtime that you download from java.com/oracle.com contains a plugin to run Java content from your browser. It does not contain the command line tools.

You will need to download the JDK. This contains the runtime tools to run Java from your Terminal.

JDK download:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

You can leave the JRE/Plugin installed. They are separate and coexist without issue. Note that because they are different pieces of software the versions can be out of sync. I guarantee at some point they will, and should be out of sync, when the JRE/Plugin updates. Take the updates!! They are quick to install and keep your machine much safer.

- javaenthusiast

astrocramp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Hello,

[you need the JDK]

The Java Runtime that you download from java.com/oracle.com contains a plugin to run Java content from your browser. It does not contain the command line tools.

You will need to download the JDK. This contains the runtime tools to run Java from your Terminal.

JDK download:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
You can leave the JRE/Plugin installed. They are separate and coexist without issue. Note that because they are different pieces of software the versions can be out of sync. I guarantee at some point they will, and should be out of sync, when the JRE/Plugin updates. Take the updates!! They are quick to install and keep your machine much safer.

- javaenthusiast

Thanks, at least java shows up when I query it from the terminal, but minecraft still refuses to recognize that there is a JRE installed. It throws the message asking me to install, and when do its the same behavior: osx hangs during the install on "optimizing the system for installed software" and I have to do a hard reset. I'm reinstalling lion now.

astrocramp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Solved by reinstall

I gave up and just reinstalled lion. That has fixed the problem with the update hanging. What an irritating slog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.