Java upgrade - Bad news for gamers?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FrptPretzels, Mar 20, 2011.

1. FrptPretzels, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

FrptPretzels macrumors newbie

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move it. Thanks :cool:

Runescape was working fine under Tiger. When I upgraded to Leopard, the Java updated too and now game is distorted. Makes it so I have to resort to the Acer PC for gaming. :(

Here's how it looks now:

[​IMG]

And from before:

[​IMG]

My computer details:

Model Name:eMac
    Model Identifier: PowerMac4,4
    Processor Name:powerPC G4 (3.3)
    Processor Speed:1 GHz

Ran Java tester and it says: Java version: 1.5.0_28 from Apple Computer.

Any ideas for this noob? Thanks :D

2. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Possibly Apple making changes to the java installer or codecs for Intel optimization? Did you download the update from software updates? I have a PB G4 1.67, but don't have any games for PowerPC lying around.. if you could send me the link, I can try it on my end and see if it plays ok.

But, yeah.. that doesn't look normal.. I suspect either a faulty download or something to do with the codecs or code in the java update.. As you know Apple is moving away from Java.. which sucks.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Thats odd since I havent had any Java issues migrating back and forth from Tiger to Leopard on my Dual 867 G4.... (Not sure about the java version numbers, but they are both the latest Apple Java avaliable for the OSes) - you have installed all the "Java Updates" for 10.5 havent you (It could be that the latest 10.4 Java is newer than the Java 10.5 shipped with) - if you have, then it looks like Apple has messed with some function calls Runescape relies on (I havent had any issues moving my Java Applications from 10.2 -> 10.6 (via 10.3,10.4 and 10.5).. so it just seems odd that its misbehaving.

Also, there are no "codecs" in Java - its a programming language, not a video converter. Its more likely Runescape is trying to use deprecated functions that Apple added to Java and has since removed/renamed. And Apple moving away from Java is a good thing, as it means were likely to see better implemented more up-to-date builds from either Oracle or the Community, over the Apple build thats usually several updates behind the Windows and Linux versions.

4. FrptPretzels thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I upgraded the Java via software update.

I get the same result using both Firefox and Safari.

I have a feeling it is on Jagex game's end since Windows users have no problem with it.

If you want to check on your end for me, the link is Runescape

Other than the Java issue, I am loving Leopard and this forum. Wish I'd found it sooner. Thanks so much for the help :)