"java" using 100% CPU all the time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kristof-clg, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Kristof-clg macrumors newbie

Hello, misteriously the service "java" is using up to 100% all the time, which reduces my battery time. Is there a way to reinstall java?

Help! :S

OS X Leopard 10.6.8
    Macbook Pro 13 i5 2011

Attached Files:

2. inspuration macrumors newbie

This is why Dear Leader removed java in Lion.

3. Kristof-clg thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, whatever. Did a fresh install of SL then upgraded to Lion. Everything's perfect again ;)

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I am resurrecting this thread because at startup java is using 100+%. But that seems to start at the or before the login screen. Because as soon as i reach the login screen my fans go blazing at 6000rpm, and like 10-15 secs later they stop. I have caught the Java process in activity monitor just when it logged in.

The poster "inspuration" here said that java was removed with Lion??? well I have Lion and its still there apparently. Whats up with that. Anyone else have this?? Its on my 2010 i7 MBP btw, and this machine has always created problems, ever since I've had it.

cheers

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I installed Lion on 4 systems. In every case on the first boot it said Java was required and then downloaded and installed it.

So while Lion doesn't ship with Java it seems to be needed!

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yeh I had to do that aswell.
    On any of your systems, does it hog CPU at startup?

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not that I've seen. You might want to use Activity Monitor and inspect the Java process. See what the parent process is -- that might clue you into what is trying to run. You can also check for any files it has open for some hints.

8. larkost macrumors 6502a

To amplify, the problem is not Java, that is just the language (and runtime) that some program was created in. The problem (it seems) is that some program is running, and you would not like it to. You have to figure out what the program is, and then decide whether you want to disable it.

Better than even money this is some program that you enabled yourself, that runs a background process, and that is running heavily. My first though is that some bittorrent clients are written in Java (but that is just a random thought).

9. The-Pro, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Im going to try and get a sample of it next startup. Things opening at start up for me are: gfxCardStatus, Stickies and istatmenues, and I have a custom dock through Dock Library (don't know if that matters.

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I set activity monitor to launch at start up. I removed all other apps that open at launch form the list.

It still doing the thing with Java. However it got less and less in the time its running the more i restarted it. The first time I managed to "Inspect" it, i couldn't press Sample though, wasn't clickable. However it did say the parent process was launchd. Whats being launched exactly :D