Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Just purchased a new Jawbone 2 and am trying it out for the first time today. I have a question for those who own one. Do you find you have to turn down the bluetooth volume on the iPhone a little below maximum in order to eliminate static/crackling when the person on the other end speaks loudly? I have, and I'm wondering if this is normal or if I have a bad Jawbone.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have both the original and Jawbone II and both have crystal clear audio quality. I have, however, seen many reports of people with very bad static. I guess you could try re-pairing it and seeing if that helps at all??

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Many conversations are TOO loud causing me to turn it down. However, no problems with static. I would try the Jawbone II with a demo at Apple Store and see if its your bluetooth. In retrospect my iPhone 1G had a bad receiver.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I just tested my new Jawbone 2 at home on my wife's iPhone 3G, and vice versa with her original Jawbone on my phone. In both cases I hear the same static. It's not a constant static - it's more like a crackling during louder sounds. Happens most when the bluetooth volume is cranked up but also I can hear it less at lower volumes. On the original Jawbone, the crackling is much more muted (as is the overall sound quality), but is still there.

I suppose the iPhone is just not putting out the cleanest bluetooth signal. Maybe 2.2 software will clean it up.

I will try it at work on a friends iPhone and see if it is any different.

The crackling isn't severe, but certainly irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.