Jawbone Big Jambox

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iRyu, Jun 29, 2012.

1. iRyu macrumors regular

anyone using it? I wonder how loud can this big guy can be.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

3. recurrence macrumors member

I have one

I have a Big JamBox. It gets much louder and much deeper than the original JamBox.

Pros:
    - Bluetooth connectivity is wicked (I HATE wires!)
    - Not terrible sounding
    - more battery life than my ears desire
    - I can pleasantly listen to it for a long time compared to some of my other speakers.
    - you can pass it around like a football

Cons:
    - has problems picking up Bluetooth connections sometimes. Pisses my wife off quite a bit actually. Hoping a driver update fixes it
    - No Tweeter. Very noticeable if you are used to hearing the full audible range.
    - Glows when plugged in means it can't be plugged in overnight next to my bed

4. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Couldn't just throw a cloth or even some shirt over it?

5. recurrence macrumors member

Sure, but it has to be turned off/on at least once per day due to Bluetooth connection failures (The glowing part is the power button :) ).

I just moved it to a different room.

Overall, it's a fine Bluetooth speaker if what you're looking for is a long lasting portable sound device.

6. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

my only concern is, is it loud enough to fill a room without "cracking" noise?

I hate those cracking noise plus the price isn't cheap :cool:

7. recurrence macrumors member

Hmm, can't say I ever crank it up that high (use other speakers for that). I have heard crackling when the bluetooth connection is weak (EG: Far from the source).

How big is your room and what counts as 'fill' (EG: Do you like to blast Metal)? It has multiple mid woofers and a rather large bass radiator for the speaker size but it's no loudspeaker.

I'll turn it up when I'm in the house tomorrow and see what happens. :)

8. iRyu thread starter macrumors regular

I mostly listen to rap music. Eg Soulja, Wayne, Vinny cha$e, drake etc.
    Thanks for helping :)

9. recurrence macrumors member

I listened to some tracks at maximum volume.

At absolute max there is occasional crackling. Backing off a little eliminated it for me. However, the speaker sounds even worse when you crank it up (Worse than even other $300 speakers I've heard).

I think you'd really benefit from being able to A/B it with some other options.

10. hellfried macrumors member

battery life

have had the big jambox for almost a month now. quite happy with it but for one thing. the battery drains very fast if i stream music via bluetooth from my 2007 imac. it won't last a day and this is not even on continuous play. with the iphone though its fine and can go upto 2 days without a charge.

the lion's share of my music is on an ext. hard drive which is connected to my iMac. due to the my iphone's 32G capacity i only have a fraction of my music on there. this really sucks.