Jawbone Leaves Users in the Lurch as Customer Support Goes Silent

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Owners of Jawbone products have been met with a wall of silence from the speaker and activity tracker company's customer support, it was reported on Wednesday.

Customers told The Verge they had contacted Jawbone in recent months or weeks about faulty products and had not received any response, while calls to the company's support number are being continually met with automated messages about busy lines.

The company's support Twitter account hasn't tweeted since December 21, 2016, and the Jawbone Facebook page does not respond to comments left by frustrated customers, with many of the comments apparently hidden from public view. Meanwhile, review aggregator website Trustpilot.com currently gives Jawbone an average one-star rating.

Jawbone did not respond to requests for comment regarding its lack of customer support, despite the fact that the company's products are still available to buy through Amazon, if not Jawbone's own website.

Reports that the company has been struggling to stay afloat date back to May of last year, when it ended production of its UP line of fitness trackers and sold its remaining inventory to a third-party reseller at a discounted price.

At the time, Jawbone denied claims that it was going out of business and said it was focusing on advanced sensors to sell to other wearable makers, but recently both the head executive of product and the chief financial officer left the company.

According to a report in the Financial Times, Fitbit attempted to buy Jawbone last year, but it only offered a fraction of the $1.5 billion valuation the company had at the beginning of 2016. Jawbone and Fitbit have also been involved in a series of lawsuits over patents and trade secrets over the last year.

Article Link: Jawbone Leaves Users in the Lurch as Customer Support Goes Silent

bazinga871

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Jawbone had some of the best sleep tracking (Fitbit's sleep tracking is a joke in comparison). Sad to see its demise. Was kind of hoping Fitbit would buy them, that way they could stop bickering about patents.

Reactions: Garsun and VulchR

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Jawbone had some of the best sleep tracking (Fitbit's sleep tracking is a joke in comparison). Sad to see its demise. Was kind of hoping Fitbit would buy them, that way they could stop bickering about patents.
I see Jawbone in the same realm as Pebble. They were slowing fading with Apple, Fitbit and Garmin taking the majority of the market. I think it's a matter of time before they fizzle out. And their product line seems fairly limited, which may or may not be a bad thing. I haven't tested their products.

It's never good when their customer support is not responding to customers needs or questions, then add their CFO departing the company is another sign. Perhaps Fitbit should have acquired them as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abazigal

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Get rid of customer support? This is a sure-fire way to get their business back on track!

I'm surprised they lasted this long after the disaster that was the original Up. They should have pivoted from making BT headsets to BT earbuds instead of a product segment that they had no experience with.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I used to have a Go band and it was wonderful. However, rather than doing the sensible thing and using a watch-style clasp, Jawbone tried to be too clever by half and use other ways of securing their devices on the wrist. Sure enough, I lost each one of my Go bands. After three bands I had enough and switched to Fitbit. Like others who posted above, I wish Fitbit had bought Jawbone, for the functionality of the bands and apps on are a par, but if the best aspects of both were combined...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Jawbone have been at deaths door for some time now.

It's been a matter of time... looks like the time has now come.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The writing is on the wall for this company, and I'm surprised they're still around. I never liked the design, because it lacked any display like the fitbit.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I hope FitBit buy them, with this & Pebble & Vector, they can build some decent competition to keep Apple on their toes (and I say this as a happy Series 2 owner!)
There are Wall Street rumors that FitBit is foundering, too. Which really sucks, since they are my only hope for my Pebble to get a firmware update to reduce cloud dependence - and until they bought Vector, they were looking like my likely next smart watch! Imagine if they had bought Jawbone, too - they could take out four brands at once when they fail!

Gudi

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not convinced that wearable computing is a thing. When the novelty is gone a gadget has to prove its value in utility and I don't think it's there. Most people don't carry an extra camera additional to their smartphone camera or an extra gps tracker, why would they want a smartwatch or a fitness tracker? The iPhone already tells the time and measures your activity good enough or even superior given the choice of apps in the AppStore. I'd pay zero dollar for a wearable device and put it in a dusty drawer for eternal storage.

Reactions: chakdey

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
I still wear my Jawbone UP to sleep every night when I set my Apple Watch Series 0 on its charger. Their sleep tracking really is great, I've loved the app's interface since I first used it in March of 2014, and the integration with the Health app and even the Apple Watches activity tracking is very well designed.

Until Apple brings sleep tracking to the Apple Watch, I will continue to wear my Jawbone to sleep at night. I even like how the app guesses my sleep duration when I forget to set it to sleep mode or even when I forget to wear it at all (how they figure it out accurately I don't really know, but I assume it's accelerometer data).

I fondly remember the days of wearing both a Pebble and a Jawbone UP24. Both were so perfectly suited to what they were designed to do. All eaten away by the massive weight of the Apple Watch, which arguably has been much harder to use.

Reactions: bazinga871

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not convinced that wearable computing is a thing. When the novelty is gone a gadget has to prove its value in utility and I don't think it's there. Most people don't carry an extra camera additional to their smartphone camera or an extra gps tracker, why would they want a smartwatch or a fitness tracker? The iPhone already tells the time and measures your activity good enough or even superior given the choice of apps in the AppStore. I'd pay zero dollar for a wearable device and put it in a dusty drawer for eternal storage.
The iPhone does not track anything passively unless you carry it in your pocket.
My gf got a Fitbit flex 2. Counting steps, tracking sleep and especially the silent alarm are enough reasons for a $100 device.

Reactions: Pupi and cactuslick

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Made the mistake of buying one of their bluetooth headphones. LI battery swelled, and headphones died just after the warranty ran out. Called to try to BUY a replacement battery...no dice. Money down the drain. Good riddance...

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Lausanne
I've had 7 replacement units of my UP3 over a period of a year. And over time, I could clearly realise customer service was more and more ******.
However, it is to me the best activity tracker so far for my personal needs: it tracks sleep and time and heart at rest, while syncing this to the App on the phone. Thus allowing a very small band factor and no ugly display. I don't need a display on a tracker… I've already got my laptop screen, my smartwatch, my iPhone…

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Jawbone has been skating on the edge of bankruptcy for months. They don't make hardware anymore and sold off all their remaining stock, months ago. Frankly I was expecting all the Up products would have been bricked a while ago (when Jawbone turned off the "cloud"). But that hasn't happened yet, they must get money selling the data to health companies etc..

With this in mind, nobody should expect anything from them. The whole premise of the article is a bit odd, since the The Verge reporters know Jawbone's financial condition and the fact they abandoned hardware production and sales months ago.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The iPhone does not track anything passively unless you carry it in your pocket.
My gf got a Fitbit flex 2. Counting steps, tracking sleep and especially the silent alarm are enough reasons for a $100 device.
I have a MS Band 2 which is the is the best style alarm clock for me. It wakes me by vibration and as a result not my wife who doesn't have to get up as early. I have an Apple Watch, but that sits on the charger overnight.

Reactions: gim and cactuslick

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Perhaps we were wrong to question Apple's market strategy.

Jawbone is effectively dead. Fitbit apparently is over-stocked and under-selling. It may also go down the pan. Pebble has been subsumed and start-ups are drying up as the market begins to mature.

So, we are left with ... Apple and Samsung? Duopoly for the consumer.

Apple has played this really well.

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
The longer Fitbit wait, the cheaper Jawbone will be to purchase :)
In dollars yes, but it will cost more to rehab the product's reputation. Lots of people will avoid buying any (former) Jawbone product because of their bad experience or because various websites will warn against buying their products. It may be cheap to buy but expensive to rebuild.