Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Quick question for those that had one.

Does the smart alarm/wake feature work as well as they advertise?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Returned my 1st gen to Apple in 5 days. Its uncomfortable to sleep in and syncing was terrible.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If we recieve a replacement to our original Up bracelets, will they be replaced with 2.0 or 1.0 bands?
Only if you didn't get a refund check. If you did get a refund then you don't get a new 2.0 band

appleofmy"i";16290212 said:
That was the best feature of my orig band.

-

I do think is a little unfair we 1.0 band owners don't get a discount on the new band or simply replace w/ a new one just pay S&H even after you requested a refund. I had to replace my orig band 3 times and the last one is working, but not perfectly. They should have just sent the 2.0 for us 1.0 owners as beta testers when asked for a replacement in last few months, they most likely had the first batch done and any problems could be seen before mass selling them again, if they break like the first gen they will lose all brand confidence.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I find it interesting that no one is really talking about Larklife.
They too make a band that does a similar thing to Jawbone, but looks to have the diet/food tracking part done a little better.
There's not much information on it, as it's only available for pre-order so far.
http://lark.com/products/larklife/experience

Now I have a hard decision to make, Larklife or Jawbone Up 2. They seem to do very similar things.
Does anyone have advice as to which would be better? Has anyone used any other Lark fitness products?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
- And finally, there is the "gimicky" idea that people have to use something like this to get them active. Is there a reason you need a fancy gizmo to start running everyday?

One reason I might use a "gimmicky gizmo" would be to make it more enjoyable to exercise. If I like using the product that encourages me to exercise, I start to enjoy getting out and exercise. Not everyone needs a gimmick to exercise, but then again, not everyone needs an iPhone to place phone calls...

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Not true - I'm in Canada and received a full refund directly from Jawbone.

Canada is not Europe!

----------

I believe you are mistaken and spreading misinformation. The refund was available in the EU. I think it might even still be available until the end of this year.

Not misinformation, I receive an email from Jawbone saying the refund was only available for US/Canada.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
Interesting timing for me. But first, a little history.

I am a basketball official and wanted something to track workouts and the amount of distance covered during a game. I got a fitbit and loved it. The only problem is the form factor - I took off my pants one night, forgot I had it on the waistband and washed it. After that I got an Up for myself and my wife. Hers went bad almost immediately. We got the refund for hers and I took it back to the store for the exchange. I will make a long story short with this:

Fitbit
Pros: Accuracy (must supply walking and running step distance), battery life, small size, now measures flights of stairs, records activities, display on the device
Cons: must put on waistband making it easy to lose, app seems to be lacking (not sure if it will sync with bluetooth), sleep function...if you wear the stupid wristband

Jawbone Up
Pros: Accuracy, inactive notification (vibrates), records activities, measures sleep, wake from sleep, looks like a normal bracelet - harder to lose, new app looks better
Cons: must be plugged into audio jack of phone to upload information (hard if you have certain phone cases), losing a cap is inevitable, spotty reliability history

Nike Fuelband
Pros: the almighty Nike name, looks like a normal bracelet, harder to lose, the app is great, bluetooth syncing with phone
Cons: stupid Nike Fuel measurement, other measurements are not accurate (Polar heart rate monitor said I burned 360 calories, Fuelband said I burned 177 on my elliptical), no sleep measurements, no activity measurements, price ($161 after taxes)

I returned the Nike Fuelband yesterday and planned on getting a Fitbit One today. I'm not sure if I should hold off now. I am forced to put the devices, except the fitbit, into my pocket when I officiate. It wasn't a problem Saturday night (college game) with the Fuelband, but the stupid Nike Fuel said I didn't reach my goal after being on the elliptical for 30 minutes in the morning and running an entire college game...that should have been more than 10,000 steps (what I have been told should be everyone's goal).

Sorry for the long post. Since I am in the position I am in this gives me something to think about.

I have used all three, and I can tell you, none of them will track your work on an Elliptical that well. Just like none of them will track a weight lifting routine very well. They are all glorified pedometers which really only work when you're walking/running/jogging/etc.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Only if you didn't get a refund check. If you did get a refund then you don't get a new 2.0 band

That was the best feature of my orig band.

-

I do think is a little unfair we 1.0 band owners don't get a discount on the new band or simply replace w/ a new one just pay S&H even after you requested a refund. I had to replace my orig band 3 times and the last one is working, but not perfectly. They should have just sent the 2.0 for us 1.0 owners as beta testers when asked for a replacement in last few months, they most likely had the first batch done and any problems could be seen before mass selling them again, if they break like the first gen they will lose all brand confidence.

You got your entire purchase amount back and got to keep the original with 0 questions asked. Why should they give you anything more? If you return a shirt that had something wrong with it, you don't get a discount on buying a different one or extra money off a replacement. Wanting more is nothing but greed.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Not misinformation, I receive an email from Jawbone saying the refund was only available for US/Canada.

Absolutely missinformation.

What if I live outside the US?

Regardless of where you live, you are still eligible for a refund as long as you purchased your UP from an authorized retailer. Refunds will be given in the same currency that was used to purchase the product.

. . .

How much will my refund be?

Your refund will be issued in the currency of the region where your UP band was originally purchased. Refund amounts are as follows:
US — $109.43 USD
CA — $115.44 CAD
UK — £90.00 GBP
EU — €120 Euros

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I'm on my 10th UP since December. When they work, they're awesome. Customer support is awesome. They get a new one out right away.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
where did you get one? I want to try one out?

I just picked one up today...I'll report back on how it works. While Jawbone failed on UP 1.0, they stood behind their product and never had anything short of great customer support. They know they biffed it, and they lost a lot of money on the first go-around. It sounds like they're pretty confident that they've got it right this time, and I hope they do...

I still find the Jawbone UP more compelling than FitBit or Nike+ Fuelband. I hope Jawbone UP 3.0 has wireless syncing. :rolleyes:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You got your entire purchase amount back and got to keep the original with 0 questions asked. Why should they give you anything more? If you return a shirt that had something wrong with it, you don't get a discount on buying a different one or extra money off a replacement. Wanting more is nothing but greed.

My guess is you didn't own one; I had one from the start before the issues were official and time was wasted waiting on warranty replacements before the return. I asked for my money back after the replacements, had I known that they were really going to come out w/ a new fixed one for real then I wouldn't have asked for my money back. Now because I asked for my money back I have to pay $30 more than someone that didn't and had a 1.0 band. Also, they could have easily sent some 2.0 bands as replacement before mass selling to retail instead of sending more bad out of the box 1.0 versions. But you are right, I get to keep a nonworking band before my warranty expires on december, my money back and my lost time. All products have store markups, they could easily sell to orig band users at whole price and make us happy and create more trust and positive vibes all around the web & they wouldn't lose any money. It is a similar strategy to what retailers do on BF.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
appleofmy"i";16290212 said:

I don't know if it is more powerful in 2.0, but on my original band, I almost always slept throughout the vibrations. When it did work though, I did feel more refreshed than average.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Yes it is.
I bought my Up on a US travel, so the refund could only be issued in the US/Canada. I have the email from Jawbone.

Ah . . . so now we are getting to the bottom of this. You purchased a device in the US and the European Jawbone support wouldn't issue the refund. That's very different from the blanket statements you made such as "no costumer support in Europe" and "customers support only United States!" While this isn't always the case, it's very common for a company only to give support in the country that the device was purchased. That really shouldn't be a surprise.

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Ah . . . so now we are getting to the bottom of this. You purchased a device in the US and the European Jawbone support wouldn't issue the refund. That's very different from the blanket statements you made such as "no costumer support in Europe" and "customers support only United States!" While this isn't always the case, it's very common for a company only to give support in the country that the device was purchased. That really shouldn't be a surprise.

I bought a lot of stuff (Apple, Canon, Bose, WD and so on) in US and always receive a excellent support!

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I just picked one up today...I'll report back on how it works. While Jawbone failed on UP 1.0, they stood behind their product and never had anything short of great customer support. They know they biffed it, and they lost a lot of money on the first go-around. It sounds like they're pretty confident that they've got it right this time, and I hope they do...

I still find the Jawbone UP more compelling than FitBit or Nike+ Fuelband. I hope Jawbone UP 3.0 has wireless syncing. :rolleyes:

How'd you get it so quick? Do Apple stores sell them already? Or..

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I bought a lot of stuff (Apple, Canon, Bose, WD and so on) in US and always receive a excellent support!

I do know Apple has been known to grant warranty outside of the country of purchase, but they do reserve the right not to. You may be asking for trouble if you expect warranty service and support outside the country of purchase.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Certainly the possibility exists that someone will buy one of these products and remain firmly planted on the couch. The same could be said for home gyms, gym memberships, etc. However, for those of us who monitor our activity, they are not gimmicks. For instance, I can tell you that I reached my goal using the Nike product and didn't reach my goal when I think I had more activity. Without the device it is a wag, but less interesting.

At the end of the day, these are pedometers with improved functionality. If you think they are gimmicks it would be a wise choice to keep your money in your pocket. For me and others they are used to monitor and motivate.

In response to Boilermaker (I am assuming you are a fellow Hoosier), I get off the Elliptical in the morning and my day isn't finished. A device like this allows me to 1) measure various activities throughout the day, 2) get an accumulated amount of exercise data and 3) measure my sleep (as accurately as they may be at doing this). I also have a Withings scale and blood pressure cuff so I guess I just like to have information and love technology.

I like to think I am somewhat active, but I just want to have the information that tells me how active I really am. I agree, it will be nice to have a device that can measure/monitor weightlifting activities. Maybe someone will create a device that does it all.

I also have to say that I would never workout with my iPhone. That is just my personal preference although I can see how having the actual location data would be helpful. If I was a runner like that I would probably buy a watch that did that for me....yes, I would have a watch on along with my Fitbit or Jawbone Up.

Yup, the beginning part you said I agree. They don't make you fit, they help you get fit by tracking and monitoring activity.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
That's another device to add onto the possibility list with the Up and lark life. But does it have vibrating smart alarm? Didn't seem like it

Pretty expensive to just use it as I will list, but I would consider that as an alarm+watch, looks really nice.

coolfilmaker

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
And now they're not even saying that they will come out with one that would fit my wrist. All their execs must be midgets.

Lucent336

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
The same, but different?

I find it interesting that no one is really talking about Larklife.
They too make a band that does a similar thing to Jawbone, but looks to have the diet/food tracking part done a little better.
There's not much information on it, as it's only available for pre-order so far.
http://lark.com/products/larklife/experience

Now I have a hard decision to make, Lark Life or Jawbone Up 2. They seem to do very similar things.
Does anyone have advice as to which would be better? Has anyone used any other Lark fitness products?

The Lark Life seems to do everything the Jawbone Up 2 does, with the added bluetooth syncing, added LED lights, and significantly lower battery life.

Comparing the spec pages, UP lasts up to 10 days, Lark Life is up to 48 hours.

At 20 dollars less and in a variety of colors, I'd give up the LEDs and Bluetooth to gain 8 days of battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.