Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I promised myself that if the Apple Watch were to be a letdown for me personally on whatever level, I'd get an other fitness/health tracking device. Right now I have my eyes on the Up24, and I wanted to get a clearer picture as to how it compares to the Apple Watch.

The Up tracks your sleep, steps and can remind you to move. It can also be used with your iPhone being at home I think... which is nice.
Can anyone see any major advantages the Apple Watch would have over an up24? I'm not yet completely at home in the fitness/health-tracking market.

Any help would be appreciated!

djedga

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I'm in a similar position although not totally ruled the apple watch out. I still don't know the full capabilities and possible third party apps.

I've narrowed my choice to three.. The up lacks a lot of what these give you in my opinion, at the moment I'm looking at

1) atlas fitness tracker
2) moov
3) Apple watch

What do you want out of your device?? The up pretty much just does the step / sleep / activity tracking but did you have any other more intensive fitness wishes?

H.Finch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I'm in a similar position although not totally ruled the apple watch out. I still don't know the full capabilities and possible third party apps.

I've narrowed my choice to three.. The up lacks a lot of what these give you in my opinion, at the moment I'm looking at

1) atlas fitness tracker
2) moov
3) Apple watch

What do you want out of your device?? The up pretty much just does the step / sleep / activity tracking but did you have any other more intensive fitness wishes?

Thanks djedga,

Well, I think tracking my activity (steps mostly), is pretty much what I need mostly... I'm a designer, and sitting behind the desk all day isn't ideal. So I need something to remind me to move, and to track how much I moved.
Insight in how you're doing is very valuable I think... Right now I have no clue where I stand so to speak :)

Ideally I'd also like to get a notification to go stand up (like Apple's Watch does)... But just getting insight in my activity would be wordt a whole lot. Thats 99% of the value I think for me... Other then that, I'd like it if it looks good. And I think the up24 looks nice... unobtrusive.. Yet stylish...
Also the sleep tracker is said to be pretty amazing, which I'd love to try out...

I'm not yet very clear as to how good the Up24 is when it comes to trakcing other kinds of activity, like fitness, bicycling et cetera... Which is important, because walking is only a small part of my daily activity...

And secretly I'm hoping Jawbone will reduce the price as a result to Apple's Watch announcement, but there's a small chance that'll happen I think.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I think the FitBit force is something I'd consider as well if you are considering the Up. On the other hand, I think more devices/updated devices will be coming soon.

As a fitness tracker with limited battery, the apple watch may not be ideal. Fitness trackers may also provide feedback on sleep which I know I've found useful in the past but it also involves wearing the device 24/7. Also, depending on the battery, you would have to charge the apple watch during the day. This may not be a problem if you have periods of time where you will be sitting but if you have an active job or on vacation or other things, it may be more difficult to keep track of your activity.

I looked at the 2 others listed above. The atlas looks ridiculous, no way I'd wear that. The moov looks decent though.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I think the FitBit force is something I'd consider as well if you are considering the Up. On the other hand, I think more devices/updated devices will be coming soon.

As a fitness tracker with limited battery, the apple watch may not be ideal. Fitness trackers may also provide feedback on sleep which I know I've found useful in the past but it also involves wearing the device 24/7. Also, depending on the battery, you would have to charge the apple watch during the day. This may not be a problem if you have periods of time where you will be sitting but if you have an active job or on vacation or other things, it may be more difficult to keep track of your activity.

I looked at the 2 others listed above. The atlas looks ridiculous, no way I'd wear that. The moov looks decent though.

I also considered the FitBit force. But a while back I read a review on the Verge and the up24 came out better. Also... I think it looks better. If it's something I'm gonna wear, that does count for me.

As far as Apple's Watch goes, I agree with your points. My main reasons for not getting it are:

1: I think its way too bulky. It's simply not elegant I think. Apple is obsessed with creating thin laptops, mac's, phones and tablets, yet with the one device where thinness really counts, they blew it (thats my personal opinion).

2: Battery life will be bad in this first version. I really believe that. There's a reason they didn't mention it at all in the keynote. I could have been a unique selling point... but they didnt say anything... which in turn... says a lot.

3: I need to have my phone with me. This is a deal breaker for me. When I go out jogging I don't want to have my phone with me. It's not even a point of discussion for me.

4: Its clearly a first version, even Ive said that in the little video. They never do that...
It's a tryout. I have a feeling a much better watch with all the bugs worked out, better battery life and a thinner body are a year or less away. This space is moving way too fast for them not to get on a yearly (of more often) release schedule. And I for one, can wait for something of quality.

djedga

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014

Yup the looks put me off the atlas too - shame because it looks brilliant from a functionality perspective!

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
3: I need to have my phone with me. This is a deal breaker for me. When I go out jogging I don't want to have my phone with me. It's not even a point of discussion for me.

Here: Just read apple.com/watch/features/

"Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch."

H.Finch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013

"Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch."

Seems like your right. I'll scratch that point then :)

However, my point yesterday:

"4: Its clearly a first version, even Ive said that in the little video. They never do that... "

Seems to be right also: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1776079/

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Completely agreed.

I'd decided on the UP24, but thought I'd wait to see what the Apple Watch turned out to be. Which was a complete disappointment.

I'll be getting an UP24 in the coming weeks.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

If you leave your phone at home, you don't get tracking since the watch has no GPS. Of course, that might not be important to everyone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
But that's not really any tracking, is it? You get the same on an iPod.

Unless you strap it on your ankle, but does it even support such functionality?

Nothing to stop you strapping it to your ankle should you wish but cant see the point....it tracks from your wrist. GPS in the actual phone wasnt feasible along with a decent battery life...GPS kills the phone battery let alone the smaller one required for the watch.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Nothing to stop you strapping it to your ankle should you wish but cant see the point....it tracks from your wrist.

But it can't track speed, distance, cadence or basically anything except number of steps from your wrist. And even that is more of an estimate than an exact number.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I was crossing my fingers for sleep tracking in :apple:watch but yeah... it's battery can't even get more than trough the day...
So i'm interested now in UP too. But can anyone tell me if it's worth it, if is the sleep management efficient and i'm especially curious about Smart Alarm - 'cuz I always have hard time getting up :D

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Was hoping a Smart Watch would finally blow me away but all have some kind of shortfall. Biggest being battery.

So, to replace my Fuelband and Vivofit , I've ordered the new Vivosmart since it does android and iOS notifications, vibrations etc. I cycle a lot and run so already have a Garmin cadence/speed sensor, Edge, HRM strap, foot pod and Forerunner so it's another easy fit into the Garmin ecosystem.

I liked the Fuelband for looks and simplicity but it was too rigid to be comfortable and only lasted 2-3 days. The Vivofit is great for monitoring when you've not moved enough, is really light and comfortable to sleep with on, and lasts a year on battery.

The Vivosmart is a kinda hybrid with notifications added on. 7-days between charges is good enough and should keep me happy until gen 2 of Smart Watches land.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
So it is a watch.
So it keeps time.
It also tracks movements and physical exericises.
It has health sensors (heart and so on),
it has 4 or 8 GB of music,
It can stream to bluetooth Apple sports edition Beats.
It has nice design compared to awful pebble, LG and S gear, especially that fat Moto.
So it does quite on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.