Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

BoyGeniusReport revives earlier rumors that Apple and Jay-Z will be forming a record label around iTunes. They now expect this new record label to be launched at Macworld Expo 2008. This incarnation of the rumor, however, eliminates Beyonce's involvement.

The new report claims that a "high-up person" associated with Jay-Z has confirmed that plans are "a go". BoyGeniusReport had previously discounted the July rumors based on a source close to both Jay-Z and Beyonce. Jay-Z recently stepped down as president of Def Jam records after his contract expired on December 31st, saying that "it's time for me to take on new challenges."

In February 2007, Apple, Inc finally settled with Apple Corps and won rights to all trademarks related to "Apple". As a result, Apple, Inc would have no legal hurdles preventing it from fully entering the music industry.

Article Link

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
You can't even buy Jay-Z's new album on iTunes?!?!?!?

If Apple and Jay-Z are that close, you think they would offer and most likely feature his new album on their site.

Sounds bogus. Although it would be cool to get iTunes exclusives way before other sites.

Comment

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
We need Steve Jobs to take some Jay-Z CD onstage at the next keynote and set it on fire with a flamethrower just to kill this stupid rumor for all eternity. :mad:

Comment

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Oh great. Another "lets **** on Hiphop" thread on Mac Rumors.

How predictable.

Comment

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Isn't Jay-Z one of the artists (like Radiohead) who believes that the album must be sold together to preserve its original artistic value, and he has been critical of the songs being sold individually?

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I can see Apple getting into the record label business but they better have more than just Jay-Z.

Does he do production also ?

hes more than an artist. i don't like his music, but he knows the business well. he was president of Def Jam, which is pretty freaking huge.

Comment

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
yeah, I'm not nuts about his music either, but it's definitely hard to deny his talent as a music mogul and label president. Plus, he has TONS of pull with many artists, on all fronts.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It would be a pretty amazing enterprise -- artists have long been locked into labels for distribution help, Apple may have a shot at getting in on that action.

That said, I think this is as likely as a AppleTV G5.

Comment

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Before you all continue to freak out check out what jay Z has accomplished. I'm not really a fan of his music (in fact I've only got the Grey Album as a danger mouse fan) but he's got some serious credentials. Just stepping down from CEO of Def Jam does add some credibility. I'd personally be really excited for Apple circumventing the record industry and splitting profits directly with artists. However their recent iPhone profit-sharing model makes me concerned that they might be just as bad...

Comment

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Jay-Z? Worst thing to come out of MW if true.

Jay-Z is a marketing genius who is so entrepreneurial it's ridiculous. He makes whatever he touches into a goldmine.

You can't even buy Jay-Z's new album on iTunes?!?!?!?

If Apple and Jay-Z are that close, you think they would offer and most likely feature his new album on their site.

It's a one album only thing for his new CD "American Gangster." Since it's a concept album he wants it all unified and for people not to be able to buy it on a song by song basis. His newest album is all about taking in the full sonic experience. He didn't care about sales when he made that album, and it shows. No stupid pop rap, it's a great CD and accompanies the movie very well.

I can see Apple getting into the record label business but they better have more than just Jay-Z.

Does he do production also ?

He executive produces, but no beat making. And you're right, they better have more than just Jay-Z, but he's a good figure to start out with.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Jay-Z

hes more than an artist. i don't like his music, but he knows the business well. he was president of Def Jam, which is pretty freaking huge.

And this would be the sole attribute which would make this prediction realistic.

Comment

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
Can't Knock the Hustle, but . . .

File this in the dustbin next to the rumors that swirled around a couple of years back about Jay-Z planning to go to the UK to buy Arsenal FC because he's supposedly tight with Thierry Henry. (Sorry kids, the investment in the New Jersey Nets PALES in comparison to what it would cost to buy Arsenal.)

Something may happen to prove me wrong, but I'm not so sure that Apple would want to make that move (launch a record label) with or without Jay-Z. Stranger things have happened, though.

. . . cue up the first track from "Reasonable Doubt."

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Comment

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
welcome to Macworld 2008...ALLOW ME TO RE-INTRODUCE MYSELF MY NAME IS STEVE OH J-O TO THE B-S...CEO OF THE M-A-C

Comment

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Regardless of who is involved, I like the idea of Apple as a record label. What I've always thought would be a good solution (but not without problems) would be to simply allow bands (any band) to upload their albums that they have produced. You can charge a monthly hosting rate as well as taking a small amount from each transaction (significantly less than record labels). You could then also introduce levels where bands could pay more per month and have their album featured in rotating ads, this would add to the monthly hosting rate, but not to the per transaction fee that Apple would take. The delivery service for the music already there through iTunes. Most of the work that record labels do for starting bands is just help in the distribution of their music, helping them get their name out. iTunes as a record label could make distribution so much easier for bands and cheaper.
Ultimately you would end up with a lot of crap on iTunes but at the same time, any terrible band could put their music up there and direct any fans across the globe they might have to it and still be able to make money. It could really shake up the music industry in that at least bands would have another option other than the traditional labels that take huge cuts of the profit.

Comment

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I don't think this is exactly the best option... apple seems to be expanding a little too fast if this rumor is true....

Comment

philmo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
Wasn't Jay-Z in one of those HP (?) notebook commercials where people use their hands to show what they can do on their computer?

Comment

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
It's a one album only thing for his new CD "American Gangster." Since it's a concept album he wants it all unified and for people not to be able to buy it on a song by song basis. His newest album is all about taking in the full sonic experience. He didn't care about sales when he made that album, and it shows. No stupid pop rap, it's a great CD and accompanies the movie very well.

I know all that, but if he was gearing up for a deal with Apple, you think they would of offered his album for purchase, right? I mean Amazon worked it out with him, but his "new business partner" Apple, couldn't????

Makes no sense.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.