Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I've had the Jaybirds pre Apple Watch and didn't have any issue.
Now that I have my Watch, they drop connection to my iPhone 6+ (iOS 8.3) fairly frequently. It's maddening! When the drop, I can press the center button on the headset and they'll re-connect. Then I have to press again to start the music playing.

I've posted here because these have been mentioned on a lot of threads as preferred headsets here in the W forum.

I've tried forgetting and re-pairing to the phone. I've reboot/reset the phone.

It was happening on iOS 8.2 and I updated to iOS 8.3… still no change. They drop a lot.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions to repair that I may have missed?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I have the same earbuds, and I hear they have stellar customer service and can easily swap out your headphones. One of the reasons I chose these over the powerbeats2.

Contact them directly and I'm sure you'll get a fast response

Keep us posted

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I have the same earbuds, and I hear they have stellar customer service and can easily swap out your headphones. One of the reasons I chose these over the powerbeats2.

Contact them directly and I'm sure you'll get a fast response

Keep us posted

Thanks. I sent them a note off their website. I'll let you know.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
okay, how many things do you have connected to your phones bluetooth (at the same time)? I was having an issue too and it seemed to happen when the bluetooth receiver on the phone was overloading with things trying to hook into it.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
okay, how many things do you have connected to your phones bluetooth (at the same time)? I was having an issue too and it seemed to happen when the bluetooth receiver on the phone was overloading with things trying to hook into it.

Just my iPhone and the headset. The only other device even listed is my car's and this isn't happening in the car or anywhere near the car.

----------

Did you pair the Jaybirds with the watch also?
They might be confused over which one to pair with.

No. I haven't tried that yet. Just the phone, but good thought.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
If I'm working out connected to the watch and I come in and out of range with my phone I get this. I have to turn off bt on the phone if I don't have it on me and it goes away.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I was getting this problem quite frequently before. I've since unpaired/removed it from my iPhone and only have it set to automatically pair with my watch. Noticed a big improvident since, but still have the occasional disconnects.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
I got it a couple times when I was running around my neighborhood the other day. I think every time I got near my house my jaybirds would disconnect. It's rather shocking considering my phone was indoors and I was outdoors but somehow it was happening. The really annoying part was that I was running rather hard so it was fatiguing enough trying to reconnect whilst keeping my pace up.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I'm sending them to Jaybird and they're sending me a new pair.

After doing all their suggestions, it still drops frequently.

They had me re-set the buds as well as my phone, forget the device, etc.

Then finally said it must be an issue with my headset, so they're getting a new pair to me. Their service is great. Easy to get a person on the phone and they're very helpful.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I'm sending them to Jaybird and they're sending me a new pair.

After doing all their suggestions, it still drops frequently.

They had me re-set the buds as well as my phone, forget the device, etc.

Then finally said it must be an issue with my headset, so they're getting a new pair to me. Their service is great. Easy to get a person on the phone and they're very helpful.

How is the sound quality on these? I'm finding it increasingly hard to resist the temptation of buying these.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
my brand new pair is doing it also. No fix for this yet? i have it connected to the phone and also the watch. I usually use music with the watch stored music.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
There's another thread on this. It's not Jaybird specific. It's any time you come in and out of range of your iPhone specific. With any BT headphones. Turn BT off on your iPhone when you want to stream from your watch and it's fine.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Has anyone with a 5s experienced this? (from the Apple Support thread, it appears it's isolated to the iPhone 6)
Wondering if it's the BT driver implementation on the 6.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I've got like 4, but when I hit the issue the only ones in play are the jaybirds and the watch (the other two are many miles away)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I've got like 4, but when I hit the issue the only ones in play are the jaybirds and the watch (the other two are many miles away)
What are the other two devices? (you're not running the Tile app, right?)

Edit: Nevermind. Not going to gamble on whether these work or not. Reading BestBuy's return policy, they're saying 30 days only if they're in their unopened packaging?? (wtf?!)

Guess I'll have to go through the evaluation process again....*sigh*

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Ok, so seeing as how Bestbuy is a major PITA to deal with (they wouldn't cancel my order...as, even though it hadn't shipped yet, they somehow couldn't have someone put it back on the shelf in their warehouse). Poor system integration. Any who.

I have to give them the green light to send me the RMA form and shipping label (at that point, I have 7 days to ship the BlueBuds back).

I sent an e-mail to JayBird customer service, highlighting the threads on here as well as on the Apple Support forum and asked them what they were doing to try to remedy the disconnect issues people are seeing with iOS 8.x and their headphones. (that was just yesterday - no response yet).

Has anyone gotten anything back from JayBird, other than that they blame the other BT devices for contention?

(I have an iPhone 5s that I plan on using them with, on top of my watch, whenever it arrives).

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hmm. This does also make me think that this is a valid use case for getting the Watch to connect to the iPhone via wifi when the iPhone is in "hotspot" mode. If the iPhone's BT 4.0 implementation is flawed, that is, can't sustain the BT 2.1 sessions as well as supporting configurations for other devices without disconnects, then having the watch connected over wifi and disabling the BT on the iPhone should allow for full functionality with the Jaybirds connected to the watch.

Presuming I can get that to work...whenever I get my watch. :)

Oh, and before someone says "you can't get the iPhone's wifi hotspot on your list of remembered wifi networks" - yes, you can, that's what your macbook is for. :)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hmm. So, does no-one else care about his issue? :)

Received an e-mail back from Jaybird today (even though I highlighted I'm not having the issue yet, as I don't yet have the headphones or my watch), this was their response:

=============

Alex B. (Jaybird)

Jun 10, 12:01 PM

HI,

I would try a reset and make sure to restart your Iphone before repairing up the device.
If that does not work we can try another headset to see if thats the issue, unfortunately if not its gotta be the bluetooth signals interfering with each other, colliding and not allowing the signal to stay connected, Not much we are able to do about that as of right now.
Make sure you do not have any other Bluetooth devices connected at the same time as the Bluebuds X (that tends to create issues)

RESET-
During the pairing mode it is possible to reset your headphones. First follow the steps to enter pairing mode. MAKE SURE THE HEADSET IS POWERED OFF, (hold power button 8 seconds till LED lights rapidly flash) Then press and hold the up and down key simultaneously until the dual color status indicator LED rapidly flashes 5 times and or a double high tone is heard threw the headset.

My best,
Alex

=============

Wow! So their recommendation is to make sure you don't pair your iPhone with anything else other than their headphones. Ok, I'll get right on that...selling both of my vehicles as well as my apple watch (whenever it arrives). *sigh*

Guess I'll try calling and escalating.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Well, this thread is making it an easier decision for those wondering which to go with: Jaybirds or Power Beats...

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I had sent a reply back, explaining that it was pretty obvious that they didn't read my original e-mail, here's their reply:

===========

Alex B. (Jaybird)

Jun 10, 1:59 PM

Oh ok I see,

Well the issue is with the Apple watch like I said it has had issue's with a ton of bluetooth devices most of which are bluetooth headsets. We have been able to get it to work really well as of late from some in house testing and I have not hear to much about connection issue's lately.

If you purchase off of our website we have a 30 money back guarantee opened or not.

My best,
Alex

===========

So, they're suggesting the Watch doesn't play nice with other Bluetooth devices in general. You would think we'd see more threads like this if it were true.

I also asked him to elaborate on "...been able to get it to work really well as of late from some in house testing" - asking them what they've done differently.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.