Jazz Fans, help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by it5five, Feb 22, 2009.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was wondering if any jazz fans could help me out here. Below are three songs (or parts of songs) I like that seem to have a similar jazzy element to them. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the source of that jazzy sound?

Radiohead - Life in a Glass House

Rachel Yamagata - I Want You (no idea what the video is, the key is the music)

Belle and Sebastian - I Love My Car (it seems the person who made this video cut the song, but the first 30 seconds are what I'm really talking about)

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it mods. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out.

2. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Seems to be a slightly vague question.

The "Source" of this sound is music, that has some Jazzy elements would be the Trumpet.
    On the Radiohead track a fella called Humphrey Lyttelton did the trumpet.
    Make a search on of his stuff, if that helps...

3. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I think the OP means what artists influenced that music. According to this Wikipedia article, "The jazz of Charles Mingus, Alice Coltrane, and Miles Davis, and 1970s Krautrock bands such as Can and Neu!, were other major influences during this period" ("this period" being the Kid A and Amnesiac recordings).

I don't know what Belle and Sebastian were on, but I love my car is a great song :).

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The first, I thought Miles too, like from Porgy & Bess or Elevator To The Scaffold.

The second, sounds more like Horace Silver than anyone else.

The third, I haven't a clue.

5. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Thanks guys. I know my question might have been phrased weird and been confusing, but you two got it. I'll take a look at the musicians you've recommended.