JB 3.1.2 upgrad to NON-JB 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by imgonephishin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Hi all. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m running 3.1.2 jailbroken on a 32GB 3GS. I have most of the typical installs--OpenSSH, Rock, Cydia, couple random apps, and a couple of cracked apps—(let’s avoid the moral/legal debate… I honestly barely use them and hence why I don’t care to keep them).

I’d like to upgrade to 4.0 but DON’T want to keep my jailbreak. Is it as simple as just upgrading or do I need to take any action before upgrading to remove various apps or unjailbreak? I’ve done a lot of searching for info on this, but I haven’t been able to find this specific question. Most people want to upgrade and KEEP their jailbreak.

If I just do the normal upgrade process will there be any harm done? What will happen to the jailbroken and cracked apps that I have installed? Will those automatically be removed or will they remain and take up dead space on my iPhone? Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can just upgrade. Be aware that some jailbreak customizations may be preserved in your iTunes backup, so you might want to restore and set up as a new phone instead.

4. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any more specifics about what jailbreak customizations would remain after upgrading? I can restore and set up as new if I need to, but I'd prefer not losing all of my app data (saved games, etc...). I didn't use springboard but I did have a few customizations with BossPrefs.

5. Lorio macrumors newbie

I have the same issue as the thread starter. If I set it up as a new phone, how does it work? Will you be able to re-sync your application and will the application data follow? Like in some games, I want to keep my high scores :D

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Setting up as a new phone is will cause you to lose saved application data (high scores, etc) as well as text messages. You can always try restoring from backup; if you have problems, just restore again and set up as new. Nothing will be lost but your time.

7. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe, yeah. And just when I'm so close to 3 stars in all of the Angry Birds levels...

And don't even get me started on the countless hours I poured into PvZ! :D

I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade and hope nothing too bad is happening behind the scenes. I'm most concerned about leaving some security loophole open such as OpenSSH (though I changed the default password).