JB 3GS running 4.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sdmac, Jul 28, 2010.

1. sdmac macrumors member

Flame away but I've searched and the more I read, the more confused I get.

I have a 3GS running 4.0.1. I have both a MAC and a windows PC running Itunes 9.2 so I could perform the JB on either.

Looking to JB but from what I've read it appears I will need to downgrade to 4.0.

Is this true? If so, where can I get the 4.0 OS?

Also, is redsn0w the preferred program to use while jailbreaking?

Is there a good tutorial anywhere on how to do so?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot currently jailbreak a 3GS on 4.0 or 4.0.1

Redsn0w hasn't worked on 3GS since 3.1.2 firmware.

You will have to wait for new tools (coming soon we hope)

3. sdmac thread starter macrumors member

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There is currently no available jailbreak for a 3GS already on 4.0 or 4.0.1. If you have your SHSH saved for version 3.1.3 or earlier, you can downgrade and jailbreak. Otherwise, you will have to wait for a new jailbreak tool to be released. One is expected any day now.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. ajlampo macrumors newbie

I'm really pretty new at this stuff....

ahhhh!!!! this is too frustrating! I am not the best at understanding how to do this...I have been told I need to downgrade to the 3.1.2 and then I can jailbreak...but I can't seem to figure out how to do that either!
    I also was sent a link to http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/ and paid a hefty price to JB my phone and I am told "your jailbreak instructions will be emailed to you shortly". 2 days and still no email. I ask what the hold up is and they reply "we are upgrading to a faster system tonight, you should receive it within a week". That seems like a crock to me....what do you think? If there is no way to JB the 4.0.1 3gs, then why are they saying they can do it? I haven't found this site on any scam blogs, but that doesn't mean anything...like I said, I'm not the best at this stuff.

anyway...any advice?

7. cobra5mil macrumors member

Get your money back now. There is no jailbreak yet and there are tons of websites that just want your money. When a jailbreak is released, it will be provided for FREE by the devs. You can pay someone to install it for you if you want (it is super easy) or you can do it yourself.

If you have never jailbroken your phone previously, you will have to wait until one is released for the iOS 4.0

8. ajlampo macrumors newbie

I have never jb this particular phone. I have done my older ones with no problems but this one has always been run without a jb.

well, I'm bummed!!! Hopefully this will be released soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean like really soon LOL

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whoever pays for JB software is a sucker.
    All the JB and unlock programs are free and always have been.
    What these scam sites do is take the free programs and sell them to people willing to pay.
    And they will sell you a JB and unlock now and take your money but tell you to wait cause its not ready yet.
    Dont fall for it.

10. onetimeassassin macrumors newbie

OK HERE ARE THE FACTS

99% chance you will NOT be able to JB your iPhone 3GS if you are already on 3.1.3 or higher. YET!

"Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom." (if you did NOT use "spirit" to jailbreak)

source http://blog.iphone-dev.org/page/2

Redsn0w does not currently jailbreak the iPhone 3GS with current software.

Bootrom
    (you can find out which bootrom you have by looking in the iPhone settings, general and then about menus. It is the "model" code you are looking for.

If it reads MCxxxx then you, like most 3GS owners have the new bootrom. Bad luck, no jailbreak for you!

If you do have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 with the OLD BOOTROM
    and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak
    then you can create the ipsw using PwnageTool 4.0.1 and restore with your altered ipsw to jailbreak. (research b4 doing this)

(or if you match the above criteria and are now on 3.1.3 but you have been using cydia to retain your "SHSH Blobs" since you were on 3.1.2 then you can JB using a similar method)

Any companies offering the service at the moment are 99% likely to be some sort of scam. I have experience of this. It sucks.

DO NOT TRUST ANYONE WHO OFFERS A QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION AS IT IS NOT OUT THERE YET!!! (29-07-10)

You just need to be patient. OS 4.0 isn't all that anyway and if you upgrade now then it cuts your chances of JB'ing in the future.

General rule do not upgrade until you are 100% sure you will be able to JB. Most jailbreaks are done during the upgrade process so DO NOT RUSH or you will end up waiting months!!

11. Zephyr240 macrumors newbie

I used Spirit on my 3.1.3 3gs last week and it worked fine, and I did it on itunes 9.2. Works fine and unlocked with ultrasn0w so my gf uses it on tmobile.. phone was never jailbroken before that

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    You can JB any iphone on 3.1.3
    Its 4.0 and 4.0.1 that you cannot on 3GS and i4 so far.

13. cymruambyth macrumors newbie

So will the forthcoming Iphone4 jailbreak also jailbreak a 3gs already running ios4.0 or 4.01 ?

Cheers.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it shouldn't be a prob.

15. cymruambyth macrumors newbie

Thankyou kind sir