JB 4.1 and having problems with Home button

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dgstan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded from a JB 4.0 to 4.1 and JB with GreenPois0n. Everything went fine and works great. Now, about 2 weeks later, the Home button is giving me problems. Sometimes it doesn't respond whatsoever. Other times it responds slowly. If I spin it around inside it's housing, it'll start working fine for a while.

I'm tempted to believe that it's strictly a hardware problem. But, I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem on a JB phone, only to have it go away once you restore to stock?

I can restore back to stock 4.1 easily enough (SHSH are in full effect), but JBing it all back to what I want is a pain. I'm afraid I'll restore to stock for my date with a "genius" and it'll work fine (or if it doesn't, I'll end up with a new phone with OS 4.2.1 and no blogs saved).

So, has anyone seen a JB or JB app cause intermittent problems with the Home button? Do you think this could be software related or is it a simple HW problem?

2. xamp macrumors newbie

My wife's phone (on JB 4.1 since the beginning) started having the sticky button issue on Friday last week. We tried restoring to stock and eventually even upgraded to 4.2.1 in anticipation of our genius bar appointment. Nothing helped. Button would occasionally work, but most of the time not. Apple swapped it out with what appeared to be a new one, though it had 4.1 installed (I shed a tiny tear, since the old phone had every shsh available.)

3. dgstan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info xamp.

I happened to be at the mall today and stopped by the Apple Store. I spoke with one of the geniuses and he said they had seen very few Home button issues, but his own personal phone exhibited the exact same problem I described. The fact that he said he is "living with it" tells me that he's probably as jailbroken as the rest of us.

He also said they'd be happy to give me a new phone whether I could recreate the problem in front of them or not. I politely declined.

4. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I suspect this is manufactring defect...

I too have inconsistent home button problem. Same with my friend's phone. We both are jailbroken but I doubt it has anything to do with JB.