JB 4.3.3 vs. JB 5.0.1.. Differences?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by SSpiro, Jan 22, 2012.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Any good quick differences between the two? I'm still so very happy with my 4.3.3 that i really am struggling to justify the work i would need to put in to this to backup, upgrade, JB, restore, etc etc etc when i'm so happy with the one I have already.

Is it completely worth it to ditch 4.3.3?

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Notification center and intelliscreenx are the biggest upgrade differences. Honestly, if you are happy with 4.3.3, then stay on it. But you might want to do a quick upgrade to 5.0.1, save the blob, then downgrade back to 4.3.3. This way, if you want to upgrade and jailbreak in the future to 5.0.1, you can.

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I never would have thought of that. Good thought. Any good how-to's on how to do that?

I've saved the blobs in tinyumbrella of the original OS from when i first bought it, and then 4.3.3 a few weeks ago.

Basically, i need to know how i backup everything (apps, cydia, cydia tweaks), upgrade to 5.0.1 (save blobs in tinyumbrella) then restore back to 4.3.3 and get all my apps and tweaks back.

I'm sure its straight forward. I just dont want to eff it up.

4. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wow if your going to go through the trouble of upgrading than downgrading you might as well just stay on 5.01 and jailbreak. Clueless. You were just saying you didn't want to go through all the trouble so why would you go through all the trouble of upgrading downgrading etc. etc.....

5. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

You don't have to be on 5.0.1 to save the blobs. You can just fire up the most recent version of tiny umbrella and save your 5.0.1 blobs even if you are on 4.3.3

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Use pkgbackup for jb apps and itunes backup for everything else. Upgrade is painless.

7. bkushner macrumors regular

8. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

iMessage and notification center plus a few others

9. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Wow.

You Completely twisted the thread around, and managed to turn it in to a negative discussion. Gold star for you.

I never said i didn't want to go through the trouble.. What i was saying is that i'm extremely happy with 4.3.3.. Why risk upgrading to 5.0.1 and possible issues if i'm already happy?

Thus, the recommendation came to upgrade, save, and downgrade.

If i don't have to upgrade to save 5.0.1, then i'll just fire up tiny now and save it.

----------

[​IMG]

Look right?

10. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

11. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

So.. If I decide I want to JB down the road.. months from now, for example, I just load 5.0.1 from tiny first, then run the util?

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502

There will be apps in the future that will run on IOS 5 only. In fact, the current version of iMovie is already IOS 5 exclusive. Idk what issues you are concerned about, but the positives clearly out weigh the risks in my opinion.

13. number84 macrumors 6502

^ I agree...no point to stay on 4.3.3 now. I suppose if there are certain cydia tweaks that you must have and aren't yet available on iOS5, then that would be the only reason to stay on 4.3.3. But I'm sure now that the jailbreak is available to everyone, developers will update their tweaks to be compatible.

14. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Anyone know of a good how-to on how to save everything i've got, go to factory/upgrade to 5.0.1, then restore everything back?

Any links, etc..

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

iTunes U is also iOS5-only. There will only be more as time goes on.

If you use your iPad for photos at all (not necessarily taking them, but managing/editing them), then the new photo album is worth the upgrade alone, I think. Albums, plus you can rotate, crop, and fix red-eye within the photo album, without having to save a second copy! A much-needed improvement, IMO.

16. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I use pkgbackup for cydia apps. I believe it is now $7. Worth every penny. Make a backup with it, then sync through iTunes. Upgrade to ios 5, restore from backup through iTunes, jailbreak, open cydia and grab pkgbackup again. Restore your pkgbackup. Took me all of about 20 minutes.

17. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I agree with this, except the way i do it is restore the itunes backup last.