Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
This is a nice feature of 5.1 but obviously many of us do not want to
lose our JB. Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
That's true but in 5.1 you still initiate the photo deletion from the phone.

Hopefully this will make a JB tweak easy to write. Only question is if the servers look to see if your on 5.1, but that is probably easy to trick also.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
You can delete them in iFile. There is a DCIM folder for PhotoStream. I saw it myself but didn't delete any so I'm not sure if they would be automatically redownloaded again after you delete them.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
You can delete them in iFile. There is a DCIM folder for PhotoStream. I saw it myself but didn't delete any so I'm not sure if they would be automatically redownloaded again after you delete them.

i would NOT recommend this. and i tried this just by curiosity the other day, and rebooted. was in a safe mode boot loop. unable to do anything. had to connect to TU, and throw into DFU. then recboot to exit recovery, then all was fine. the png's were back as well.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
i would NOT recommend this. and i tried this just by curiosity the other day, and rebooted. was in a safe mode boot loop. unable to do anything. had to connect to TU, and throw into DFU. then recboot to exit recovery, then all was fine. the png's were back as well.

I yearned for deleting individual pictures so when I saw that, I was tempted. But I stopped myself because it seemed...too good and easy to be true...so I didn't go through with it. Intuition

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

That is correct, Deleting anything with iFile is NOT recommended at any point, while those photo files are there, they are linked to a database entry, if you erase the source file you will cause an issue, generating an error that iOS is not build to handel (since you are not suppose to have access to those files) that is the same for Game saves, Contants, Apps, etc.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
That is correct, Deleting anything with iFile is NOT recommended at any point, while those photo files are there, they are linked to a database entry, if you erase the source file you will cause an issue, generating an error that iOS is not build to handel (since you are not suppose to have access to those files) that is the same for Game saves, Contants, Apps, etc.

i ssh'd them. either way...what you said makes sense.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hopefully something can be done -- though my gut tells me that it won't be possible to reverse engineer the 5.1 photos app without a 5.1 jailbreak. But that's really the only 5.1 feature I really want.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hopefully something can be done -- though my gut tells me that it won't be possible to reverse engineer the 5.1 photos app without a 5.1 jailbreak. But that's really the only 5.1 feature I really want.

Based on how Apple had done iCloud, and such a services, it will be a simple API to the server that it is not currently available. Once they add it I don't see any limitation for another app to call this API, but then again i could be totally wrong and they can do some voodoo to avoid it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.