JB consuming TOO much memory?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lokerd, Jun 21, 2012.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I am upgrading my wife's iPhone 4s and iPad1 to 5.1.1

The question is if I SHOULD JB her stuff?

To me, the benefits outweigh the risks, easily. I will definitely be JBing mine.

But, when she has problems, it is more difficult for her to keep going, etc.

This is mainly for her iPad, but it is true also on her iPhone.

On the iPad, Safari and iCab both crash like crazy. I just roll with it (we both have iPad 1). But, she gets pretty frustrated with it.

I think she will end up missing it more than she realizes.

But, if Safari runs more stable, she will be happy...and so will I.

Thoughts???

2. kokhean macrumors regular

Jailbreaking won't consume TOO much memory :D
    The only jailbreak that I've ever had memory issues with is JailbreakMe 3.0, which definitely consumes a lot of RAM as compared to using redsn0w. Others have absolutely NO memory issues.

I've used these jailbreak tools:

redsn0w - 4.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0 beta 1, 5.0.1
    Sprit - 3.1.3
    JailbreakMe - 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3
    GreenPois0n - 4.1, 4.2.1
    Absinthe - 5.0.1, 5.1.1

3. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

If you worry about memory, don't install Winterboard and Siri (Spire/iModSiri/...). They consume a bit of memory, but otherwise jailbreaking does not eat your ram.

It will, however, take half a GB of the storage space, as parts of the iOS are moved from the system partition to the user partition, to make space for JB stuff that may need to reside on the system partition. So if you have an 8GB device, that could be an issue.

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

If the iPad 1 only has 256 MB and you're on IOS 5.x... then I'd advice against, since you'll run out of memory fast.
    There are tweaks like the previous poster said (Winterboard, etc) that consume a lot, some others are quite soft, but in general it's probably not worth it.

5. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks for the feedback. I completed her upgrade and did NOT JB it, and she said it has NOT crashed Safari at all...compared to crashing on some sites repeatedly to the point that some sites were just a complete NO GO!! And she is plenty happy with it not being JB. So, that takes care of that.

On the other hand, I also got my iPad upgrade 5.1.1 done, WITH JaillBreak and it seems to be running better than before.

Now, on to upgrading the iPhones. :)