Resolved JB IP4 4.2.1 crashing when exit Settings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Xhita, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Xhita, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Xhita macrumors member

That's one of the dangers of JB: sometimes two JB apps which work perfectly on their own will crash the IP when they are both installed...
    Let's see if anyone experienced this before, thus avoiding me the work of removing the JB apps one by one. :D

At the moment, my IP will crash and restart on it's own in Safe Mode when:

- I access SETTINGS: although I can do whatever I want in Settings, once I press Home to exit, the IP will crash withing 10 seconds. This happens always

- when charging: the IP will crash RANDOMLY if I remove it from charging status

- when an alarm goes off: that happen this morning, the alarm when off, the IP crash, restarted in Safe Mode and the alarm kicked in again immediately :)

I presume the last two are more related with the IP being on sleep status for a long period of time, although I'm not sure.

Since I presume something in Settings is causing the problem, here's the list of JB apps I have at the moment:

5ROW Keyboard
    Activator
    AppInfo
    BootLogo
    CleanStatus
    Clock Hide
    CyDelete
    Enhanced Tabs
    FakeClockUp
    Five Icon Switcher
    Five-Column SB
    FolderEnhancer
    iAnnounce
    IconRenamer
    Lock Calendar
    Privacy
    Pull to Refresh
    StartDial
    StayOpened
    SwitcherMod
    Weather Icon
    WinterBoard

Anyone had a similar experience or can pinpoint the culprit? :confused:

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I can't identify any immediate culprit in that list. Your only option is to uninstall one tweak at a time (may I suggest to start with iAnnounce, Privacy and WeatherIcon) and see if that fixes the crashes. My bet is that, in the end you're looking at a complete Restore. And don't revert to your old backup!

3. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

I haven't done a backup since I JB 2 weeks ago.
    And this crash started recently (in the last couple of days). The apps you mentioned I have them since the very beginning.

What's driving me nuts is that the phone does not crash when I access the Settings or when I'm on the Settings or even when I change something in the Settings. Only after I press the Home button to exit, then the phone crashes, after aprox 10 seconds.

I'll play around with the apps for a while to see if I can find something strange.

4. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

So, I thought that the problem was with the Activator settings. I had something like this assigned to the Home button, short press:

IMG_1258.png

It should, of course, show the name of the program or nothing:

IMG_1259.png

But that did not fix the problem...

Interesting enough, if I'm in Settings and the double press Home to activate the Switcher bar, call another app (phone, for example) and from this app exit with the Home button to the SpringBoard, then the phone does NOT crash. I can even close Settings from the Switcher bar.

I need to double check the settings in all the apps appearing in Settings to see if I catch something weird...

I SHALL RETURN!!! :D

5. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Anyone knows what would happen if I do a reboot (hard reset) to a JB iPhone?... :confused:

6. WhatAmI, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

As long as it's an untethered JB nothing will happen - it will act just as a non-JBed iPhone and restart. Not advisable to do a hard reset unless something is really ******* up as hard reset may leave open files etc in the file system. It's like pulling the plug on a desktop/laptop...

7. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Ok, will not try then. ;)

8. pinter macrumors newbie

My phone now reboots when I try to access a wireless network and have to input the password. I wonder if this issue is similar to yours.

It sucks

9. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

This is known to happen from time to time on jailbroken devices. Reset your network settings in Settings app and go from there..

10. pinter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I reset the network settings and tried again but I still have the same issue. I put the password in, click the button and then 2 seconds later I see the Apple symbol and it takes 2-3 minutes to come back up.

11. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

And after the reset it wants you to put in your wifi password again?

Does the same thing happen with your Gmail (but not me.com) passwords?

12. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Can you disable everything that directly affects Springboard (such as Folder Enhancer) and give it a try?

I'd leave Activator and MyWi, if you have it, on.

I assume you know how to fix a boot hang if you can't boot after disable?

13. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I do not... :eek:

14. pinter macrumors newbie

Yes it asks for the password again upon a reboot. This issue only happens for Wireless and my gmail works fine after I put in the password the first time.

15. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

Ipod Control

I had these problems before...I can only remember the "ipod control" was present...

16. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

17. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

You mean the "External iPod Controls" to use the volume buttons to change tracks? I don't have this app.

18. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Pinter, way to go hi-jacking this thread :mad:

Xhita, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to analyze the problem unless it's an obvious one - which it isn't. Make a note of the teaks and uninstall the less important one one by one and pray for success

19. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that's what I'm trying now... Let's hope I don't have to do a full restore.

20. pinter macrumors newbie

I never hijacked, I just thought maybe I was having a similar issue but give me your email address and I will make things better by sending you an e-tissue.

21. Xhita, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Xhita thread starter macrumors member

I FOUND IT!!!!!! :)

After spending the better part of yesterday removing and adding JB apps, I gave up... This morning the phone crashed when the alarm went off... I was decided to do a full restore later on tonight.
    While on my way to work, I saw that the Weather icon, which has WeatherIcon installed, was showing -6 Celsius. I found it strange, because it didn't feel that cold. So, I open the weather to double check and also to try and refresh the weather information in the icon. And as soon as I closed the app, the phone crashed!
    That's when I remembered that last Sunday I downloaded and applied a widget from LEX (this woman is amazing!). And in order to have full visibility, I moved some icons around the SpringBoard and placed the Weather icon in the dock. Moving the icon back to the Springboard fixed the issue!!!

Don't you hate it when such simple things cause so many problems? :D
    I'll send an email to the developer for him to check. Here's some screenshots:

BEFORE

IMG_1263.png

AFTER

IMG_1264.png

HURRAY!!!!!

22. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Is your problem solved?

23. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Xhita, good to see. I just wish I would have listed WatherIcon as #1 of the 3 possible culprits - I knew I had read the other thread you just posted on ;)

24. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Cheers!! :)