iPhone JB iPhone 4S update from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braxton34, Sep 9, 2012.

  1. braxton34 macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2012
    My iPhone 4S is currently happily running iOS 5.0.1 and jailbroken. It has a lot of music, Apps, cydia tweaks etc. so I am reluctant to restore to a fresh iOS 5.1.1 and rejailbreak and then add everything back.
    Can I just update (not restore) to 5.1.1 using itunes and then update cydia for 5.1.1 with Rocky Racoon or will it error out because of the jailbreak??

    On a related note, is there any real need to update to 5.1.1 if iOS 5.0.1 seems fine? What are the chances of Apps needing 5.1.1 as opposed to 5.0.1?

    I do have 5.1.1 blobs saved for the 4S- with the 4S, will that work for allowing an update to 5.1.1 after Apple stops signing it? I know it works for older models not sure with the 4S...

  2. Intell macrumors P6


    Jan 24, 2010
    When updating iOS on a jailbroken device, you must always restore.
  3. TriJetHero macrumors 601


    Oct 13, 2010
    as long as you have your SHSH/APTicket combination saved you can upgrade to 5.1.1 even after Apple stops signing it.

    You can use something like Pkgbackup to make life easier and restore your Cydia packages after a new restore/jailbreak.

    I would wait for iOS 6 to upgrade, hopefully there will be a jailbreak soon after release.
  4. dhlizard macrumors G4


    Mar 16, 2009
    The Jailbreak Community
    And I recommend upgrading to 5.1.1 while Apple still signs it.
    Simple and if you bugger it up, quick and simple restores.

    Once you set back up on 5.1.1 with all your apps, hacks and tweaks, you can easily set out the wait for a 6.0 jailbreak.

    Note: and of course with your hash and APTicket, you can upgrade at any time later on, but why wait.
  5. braxton34 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the very useful comments and advice!
  6. CheleB macrumors newbie

    Sep 18, 2012
    I really want to get my 4s updated to 5.1.1 before not being able to, but I have no idea how to go about it. Currently my 4s is running 5.0.1 and unlocked via gevey sim. I don't want to mess anything up, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I used to have a 3GS and could jailbreak new iOS with no problem, but having the 5s is new to me and I purchased it already jailbroken etc. thank you for any help you can give!!
  7. dhlizard macrumors G4


    Mar 16, 2009
    The Jailbreak Community
    Plug it into iTunes and backup/sync it, push restore, update it (will go to 5.1.1)
    Jailbreak it with Absinthe 2.0.4
    Unlock it with your Ultra S sim interposer.
  8. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502


    Oct 18, 2010
    I have 5.0.1 now 6 is released, do I have to upgrade to 5.1.1 before getting 6? Or apple already stopped signing 5.0.1?

  9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030


    Apr 11, 2012
    Apple stopped signing 5.0.1 when 5.1.1 came out at the beginning of 2012. If you want 6.0, iTunes will update you straight to it. You don't have to update to 5.1 then 5.1.1 and then finally 6.0. iTunes will install the latest iOS release.

    On a side note, if you want to be jailbroken then you need drop what you're doing, download the official 5.1.1 IPSW from iClarified, and hold down shift and click restore in iTunes. A window will pop up where you manually select the 5.1.1 IPSW. If you need data off your iPhone then make a backup with iTunes or iCloud and restore from backup. Or you can use PkgBackup, iBye, or AppBackup to backup your phone. Them restore as new to 5.1.1. Then use whichever backup program you used to restore your device.

    The bottom line is, apple will stop signing 5.1.1 at any moment now that 6.0 is officially out. Hope this helps clarify things for you.
  10. Steve-Jobs, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

    Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502


    Oct 18, 2010

    Hi thanks for your reply. I just plugged my iphone to itunes and got the upgrade message but it's upgrade to 5.1.1 not 6 shall I do that and upgrade and wait until Jb arrives for 6? I'm backing up now. if I say restore from backup do I need to JB if I go for 5.1.1?


    EDIT: i just clicked upgrade and it's taking me to ios6 upgrade not 5.1.1 is there a way to download the 5.1.1 firmware from internet or shall I wait until a JB arrives for 6 and then upgrade to 6 and JB?
    ps: I'm on 5.0.1 so do I have to go through 5.1.0 first?

Share This Page