jb iphone and sim swapping?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by flyboybiker, Aug 23, 2010.

1. flyboybiker macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm up in Canada and looking to get an Iphone4...my only choice where I am is Rogers. My dilema is that I travel to the US a fair bit. Am I better off buying an unlocked phone from Apple? Can I then go month to month with Rogers, and when I'm in the US, buy a pay as you go sim? Or will my phone get locked in by Rogers?
    Or can I go on a contract with Rogers, jailbreak the phone, will I then be able to swap sims?
    Thanks from a Newbie

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you buy it from Apple in Canada, using it with Rogers will not lock it. If you buy it from Rogers, it will be locked. If you buy the one from Apple you can use it with AT&T too (even with PAYG)

3. flyboybiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, can anyone else confirm this? The reason I ask is I had a Rogers person tell me that even if I bought an unlocked phone from Apple, it would become locked when I went on the Rogers network. I just want to be sure before I buy, otherwise I might as well go on a contract phone.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The Rogers person is mistaken. You buy a SIM unlocked phone from Apple Canada the phone is always unlocked. You can use any SIM and you can safely update the firmware to newer version at any time.

5. flyboybiker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I guess the Rogers guy wanted to make it sound like I would be stuck, so I might as well sign a contract through him. No thanks. I don't have much choice, I'm in Manitoba, but I don't want a contract.

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Cellular kiosk carnies are shady in Canada? Maybe you should buy the iPhone in the US, since all of our Cellular Salesmen are fine, honest, upstanding citizens, hahaha, kidding. But seriously, 2 minutes on google will teach you more than every bit of information the average Cellular Salesman working for AT&T or any other carrier knows. Even 1 minute on Store.Apple.CA/iphone shows the iphones from Apple come Sim-Free... so not sure why you'd listen to the guy who doesn't work for apple and who's interest is making a sale.

It always baffles me how in the US people go to sign up for cellular service, yet it's widely understood that workers in cellular's retail sites are generally the least-knowledgable and last-to-know information in the industry. Their primary goal in their job is to sell as many "activations" (not handsets) as possible, so their focus isn't to provide good service, or help you chose the best handset, their goal is to get you out the door with a new or extended contract. Why would you go to them for product research? In most companies, the cellular carriers' stores are almost solely customer service and account support, very little new-activation activity...

Next time, search online... especially with iPhone... Apple.com is a much more trusted website than Rogers.ca when it comes to hardware.... as apple has nothing to gain if you sign up for PAYG, 1 month, or 100 years of contract. They now make their money off the handset, so they're fairly neutral and will give you honest and trustworthy information. Apple employees have much longer tenure, and a general passion for their work, whereas cellular store workers change like the weather, and are just there to get a paycheck until the next carrier offers them a higher commission to work there. In any cellular carrier's organization, the retail salesforce is the lowest rung on the ladder, and generally the least profitable, mainly because of workforce attrition.

Sorry if there are any cellular employees here... didn't mean to offend, but having worked on the corporate side of 2 carriers in the US I can speak from first-hand experience :)

Buy from Apple, the price for the 32GB unlocked in Canada is smokin-hot! You'll never be tied to a carrier with that one. When they released the factory unlocked iPhone in London I flew from San Francisco to London just to get a couple... it's that important to me. Now as I travel I just buy a local sim and pay pennies on the dollar to use that country's service vs roaming with AT&T. Makes life a lot cheaper and easier...

:)