jb iphone, bye bye applecare??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok, so if i were to jailbreak my iphone, what kind of repercussions would there be? Would I no longer get any support or sympathy from apple if I ever need anything?

If I were to jb i would DEFINITELY tether. I know you can be slapped with huge fees for that, but how can they really track you? Obviously if they see a lot of usage on ur iphone they could get suspicious, but how could they truly pin you down?

Does jailbreaking take any benefit in any way away from your iphone?

And I've heard it is possible to unjailbreak ur iphone... but could they tell they u had jailbroken it at one point? or would this be a loophole to get back applecare whenever you need it?

Thank you for your help, I'm new to this whole jb thing and I want to see if it's really worth it!

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If you're tethering, aren't you using AT&T's data? They know who is using data when... it shows up on your bill. I don't know if they can track whether or not you are tethering though, I've heard they can and I've heard they can't. :confused:

And I do believe that you can jailbreak and then restore it back if you want to have Apple fix it. They don't know if you've jailbroken it or not.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Might want to have an actual reason to jailbreak the phone.

Right now there is little software written for 2.0 JB and because of the appstore there will be a lot fewer applications available for jailbroken phones.

You can use both jailbreak and the appstore at the same time, but unless there is something you specifically need to jailbreak for, I wouldn't do it. Since there is almost no software out there for it right now, there is likely little reason for you to worry about it yet.

As for tethering, I think people are extremely naive to think AT&T can not track you. This is trivial. The only reason more people have not had repercussions because of this, is simply because AT&T has not gotten around to dealing with it. There is no magic hole in the network. They know what device you are using, they know how you are using it, they know how you are supposed to be using it and all the rest.

Eventually someone in the company will make a name for themselves and institute policies to deal with this, and then the jig is up.

I would also add that actually doing that could be considered a crime, or even a combination of crimes including fraud and theft of service.

4. yode macrumors 6502

Just don't go above the 5gb soft cap and they won't notice anything. Also about the warranty issue, it obviously breaks the warranty agreement, so if you wanna go to the genius bar or something make sure you restore your iPhone on normal firmware, this way they can't tell.

5. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I had my iPod Touch JailBreaked. I just did a restore when it messed up and they didn't have a clue.

6. Xexis macrumors member

Xexis

I know this is old but I was wondering the same thing for my 3GS I found my iTouch so I don't need to worry about that but I've already jailbroken and since I'm doing legit stuff through Jailbreaking Like I actually own a PSX and games for it so I can legally own the digital copies. I just reverted back cause no sense in doing it if the only thing I'm doing is the themes, Apple needs to get on the themes thing with lower CPU usage they would make bank from third parties for it. Also noticed this thread may be in the wrong section considering we are talking about Jailbreaking.

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

lol oh no AT&T is gonna arrest me for stealing their internets. Are you serious dude come on and stop spreading crap like this.