JB iPhone consuming WAY more data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lamar0607, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lamar0607 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I did a search but did not locate anything on the topic.

My iPhone is running 4.3.1 jailbroken and it's consuming way more data than being not jailbroken. I would never break the 1gb mark, and now I'm about to go over 2gb with 30% of my billing period left!

I do not have unlimited 3G (cydia app). I'm not doing FT over 3G. I'm not running anything that tells it to download stuff (to my knowledge) yet this phone is eating data. I don't leave safari open. I don't watch youtube. I reset my statistics each day to try to see what's doing this. I reset when I went to sleep, and when I woke up, it consumed 157mb while I was sleeping! Does anyone know what is up? I'd like to keep my JB but this is an issue!

Thanks

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Turn off your phone and see if it keeps doing it with no apps running. Try running your most used apps one at a time to see if one of them is using the data.

3. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

What kind of stuff did you install?
    If you installed a bunch of stuff that is constantly fetching data that might be it

4. lamar0607 thread starter macrumors member

I mean, I've installed the popular Cydia apps. Packages like SBSettings, Winterboard, Graviboard, some themes, infinifolders, Open SSH (which I have turned off), pkgbackup, weather elements, 20 second lock screen...Anyone have info on if these are data hogs?

Are you suggesting actually turning off the phone and sleeping, then turning it on and seeing if data was consumed? I can't see it ever consuming data at that point...

Here's what we really need: An app/package that actually tracks which packages/apps are requesting data. Does that exist in the JB community? I mean, broken down app by app.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    For instance if you installed lock screen items that pull data every time you look at your phone like weather info and other stuff then those things will obviously use more data than stock.
    It all depends what you installed, a JB iphone uses the same amount of data as a stock one would but the addons you installed is what makes the difference.

6. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I hope you changed your SSH password, maybe someone is grabbing some files from you :D :D :D

7. lamar0607 thread starter macrumors member

I understand packages may be requesting data more often when I look at them such as weather elements. But none of these explainations explain the phones consumption of 157mb overnight in sleep mode...

Yes I changed my SSH PW, boot mobile and root. I actually read up on jailbreaking unlike many users! :)

8. simple20 macrumors regular

Try deleting one package every night. If you wake up and its still consuming data, that one wasn't it.