JB my iP4 (4.2.1) but cannot manually backup in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by is300guy, Feb 12, 2011.

1. is300guy macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just recently installed GP on 4.2.1 a week ago and decided to backup my apps, data, and etc. with iTunes. Normally before the update to 4.2.1, I would plug in my iP4 and sync it with iTunes and it would always, and I mean, "ALWAYS" backup my data and then sync all the other stuff afterwards. But after the update and JBing, I did a backup today after I got all my data back from restoring with pkgbackup, iTunes doesn't seem to want to backup, it just goes through the normal syncing process and finishes later without backing up. I tried to do a manual backup (right click on the device) but there is no indication of "backup" options available....
    Am I missing something here?

I am using a MacBook Pro 2009 with OS 10X by the way and iTunes is current in updates.
    *I used to have WiFI sync installed but I deleted that since it was affecting restoring so I don't know if that may have an effect or not. Please help!

2. is300guy, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011

is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

I went through every installed cydia app to make sure that neither one of them was affecting the backup option for my iP4 and yet after deleting some files I rebooted my iP4 in hopes that it would work...it didn't. The new firmware 4.2.1 and GP might still be buggy for some reasons: Can't use my native calculator and I can't seem to (for the life in me) back up my data on iTunes since the upgrade....I hate to do a restore and start the process all over....any suggestions would be a great help.

3. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I'm jb on 4.2.1 with greepois0n as well. Everything works normally for me (except iBooks of course), calculator, iTunes backup, no issues at all.
    I know it's lengthy, but a restore and re-jb might be your best bet.

4. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried looking yet but is there a way to save/backup files using open ssh? The only problem I have with this is that the only backup file I have through itunes was dated back in 01/15/2011, which means I will lose ALL my current data I have from today:notes, calendar dates, contacts, and etc...I'll look into saving my files through open ssh if this works, might be the option I need and once that is accomplished, I can do a restore and go through the long cycle again:(

5. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I backed up my files via open ssh but luckily I postponed my initial sequence of restoring my iP4! I brought my iP4 to my girlfriends place where she also has a MacBook and did a "backup test" there and to my surprise it worked!! It gave me the option to back up my files into her computer, which is great cause it tells me that my iP4 is not the culprit but iTunes itself in my MacBook Pro is. I went ahead and backed up my files from iTunes and deleted the program from my computer. I then re-downloaded iTunes and installed it back into my MacBook in hopes of a solution..."NOPE." Same problem still...crap. What to do next?