JB phone won't enter DFU. Isn't recognized by Tiny Umbrella or iTunes. Help!?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jgurr8161, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jgurr8161 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, several year lurker but first time poster. I've got a problem that I've never come across before. I have an iPhone 4 on 5.01 jailbroken with Absinth 0.4. Today it randomly turned off while I was using an app. Couldn't get it back on so I just figured I would wait until I got home and put in DFU and then reinstall the OS and rejailbreak (which I've done many times before). But...the phone won't go into DFU. It's not recognized by TinyUmbrella where I have my old SHSH stored nor is it recognized by iTunes. I've googled for hours and I can't find anything to help. Anyone with ideas? The battery is fully charged by the way and I made sure the USB port is working on my Mac. Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention, there's absolutely nothing happening on the iphone screen.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Have you tried a hard reset, restart your computer, tried another computer?

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

first of all lets clear up what kind of phone you have

1) a 4S jailbroken with absinthe 0.4

2) an IP4 jailbroken with redsn0w and corona?

Did you try to hard reset with holding but home and power?
    Does it go in to recover mode?

4. jgurr8161 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done a hard reset and I've restarted my CPU (neither worked), but I haven't tried another computer as I don't have one available at the moment. I'm still trying different things but I'm coming up empty.

----------

It's a 4. It doesn't go into recovery mode. And I'm using redsn0w.

----------

I'm not exactly sure what I just did (it certainly wasn't the normal DFU sequence), but some combo of buttons let it go into recovery mode. I think I'm good from here. Thanks for your help guys.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

did you try the other usb ports?

did you try to kick it out of recovery with redsn0w?

6. jgurr8161 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but iTunes is now recognizing it so I'm restoring it now through Tiny Umbrella since 5.1 is out now. I think I'm good now. Thanks again.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just so you can learn the difference, DFU and recovery mode are not the same.

9. jgurr8161 thread starter macrumors newbie

I sincerely appreciate the info; I always thought the terms were synonymous. So since I don't know, what is the difference if you don't mind me asking?

10. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

DFU or Device Firmware Upgrade mode allows all devices to be restored from any state.

Recovery Mode is a failsafe in iBoot that is used to reflash the device with a new OS, whether the currently installed one is somehow damaged or the device is undergoing an upgrade via iTunes.

11. jgurr8161 thread starter macrumors newbie