JB Problems - my iPhone hates me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trev, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I tried to post this before but I sort of hijacked another persons thread, and I never did get an answer (understandably)... so here it is.

I successfully Jail braked and Unlocked my iPhone 3G using pwnage tool method using the ipad baseband 6.15.0. Using this tutorial:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13000

Something happened and it got kicked into recovery mode (I think).

Everytime I try to do a restore, weather that's using apples legit "restore" button in iTunes, or if I try a custom IPSW, or use redsn0w, I always get an error part way through the restore in iTunes: error 1015.

According to apple...
    Error 1015: This error is caused by attempts to downgrade the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch's software. This can occur when you attempt to restore using an older .ipsw file. Downgrading to a previous version is not supported. To resolve this issue, attempt to restore with the latest iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software available from Apple.

Yes, I can understand this error if I was trying to use an older IPSW, but, when using the pwnage tool, I'm technically using the SAME IPSW.

I've tried iRecovery (I coulden't get this to work).
    I got the following errors... any idea what I'm doing wrong?

[​IMG]

I've also tried tiny umbrella (correctly, I think).

Anyway, I'm really stuck here and I'm not sure what to try next. Every time I try to restore by any method available (that i know of), I get error 1015. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Sounds like your hosts file is pointing at Cydia or localhost rather than Apple itself. You need to correct this and a restore with Apple should work OK. Just make sure you get rid of or comment out any line in your hosts file for gs.apple.com

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can't restore using Apple firmware ANYMORE. You upgraded to the ipad BB, you should had read all the warning so you should know this by now. Once you update your BB to the iPad, the ONLY possible way for you to do any type of firmware modification (Restore, upgrade, etc) is using a custom firmware using pwnage tool.

So with that out of the way, yes the errror you are getting is because iTunes cannot verify that firmware, that is because you are either trying to install something less than 4.2.1 and your host file is poiting to apple. or you are trying to restore to a fimrware that you don't have SHShs saved for.

First check where is your host file pointing to.. You didn't mentioned if you were on a mac, but your SS seen to be OSX, so I am going to assume that you are on a mac.
    Open terminal and run

Code:
    ping -c 3 gs.apple.com
    You should see something like:

Code:
    PING gs.apple.com.akadns.net (17.151.36.30): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 17.151.36.30: icmp_seq=0 ttl=238 time=69.450 ms
    64 bytes from 17.151.36.30: icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=70.910 ms
    64 bytes from 17.151.36.30: icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=68.645 ms

Those are Apple IPs, if you see that, them you need change your host file to point to Cydia servers, (you can use Tiny Umbrella and run the TSS server to do that)

If you see others IPs them you are looking at Cydia, them check if Cydia have the SHSHs that match the same version of your Custom firmware.

Edit: I know you siad you got the 3G and SHSHs should not matter, however Apple implemented a soft check for the 3G on the lastest firmware, as i siad you didn't mentioned what firmware version you were trying to go to.

4. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I just tried your suggestions. The ping yeilded:

[​IMG]

I tried running tinyumbrella in TSS mode... Screenshot's below to validate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started the service and used my custom IPSW and it crapped out at the same point.

Yes, I am running a MAC, and I'm trying to go to FW 4.2

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Run the Ping command once more time, with TU TSS server running, that IP you are getting is Apple, you need Cydia servers.

Also by 4.2 you mean 4.2.1? or you are trying to restore to a 4.2 beta?

Try rebuilding a "new" custom IPWS using 4.2.1 firmware.

Also, if you still keep getting Apples server with TSS server running, is because for some reason TU is not changing your host file (you may have another App in your PC keeping the Host file hostage).

You may need to edit your host file manually.

6. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the ping and got the following:

[​IMG]

and by 4.2 I mean 4.2.1... I'm using the following IPSW's to build the custom:
    iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
    iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw

Am I activating my TU TTS server correctly? All I'm doing is hitting the "start TSS server" button when I open TU.

7. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

OK I see your Issue...

As you can see on TU on the list of SHSHs you got saved, you don't have 4.2.1, when you try to restore using your local server those SHSHs are not there.

Ok your Screenshot you got 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.1, 4.1 and 4.2b3.

You need 4.2.1 SHSHs locally in order for the server to work, so stop the server, click "Save SHSHs" first. let it run.

After that you should see iPhonee3G 4.2.1 (8C148) on the list, them start the server and restore. That will work. :cool:

9. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Sorry, my bad. Didn't even spot he was already on the iPad baseband...

10. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, that didn't work.

It did recognize the 4.2.1. baseband (seen below), and I started the server, tried to do a restore and got the same error.

[​IMG]

I then tried RecBoot 1.0.2, that didn't kick it out...

Then I tried this solution again:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/10927-solution-for-error-1015-after-jailbreak-4-2-1-ios

and I did find the line to comment out (and of course, proceeded to comment it out), and then tried to restore again, same issue.

I'm currently giving this a try:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f456/iphone-3g-error-1015-after-4-2-1-restored-1156419/

Suggestion from pangio
    on 12-07-2010, 03:47

I'll let you know if this works!

11. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

I dunno if this is necessary to know or not, but the custom IPSW was made using PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition.

12. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, turns out pangio's method works! My phone is now responding... HOWEVER, it doesn't like not having a SIM card in it, AND when I put one in, it says it's not supported (I can't unlock the phone without access to clydia, hence ultrasn0w)... arg. Catch 22. Suggestions?

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Did you use a custom firmware that includes hackivation?

14. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

@Myzhi:
    No, every time I try to use a custom ISPW, I get an 1015 error in iTunes.

15. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Easiest way is to buy a official sim, even non active one, from eBay. Probably cost a few dollars. Then, use that sim to activate the phone through iTunes, JB, install Ultrasnow, and then, use whatever other sim you like. Now, you don't have to worry about push or battery issues. And, save the sim in case you have to restore again.

16. trev, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Not quite sure how that would help since the phone isn't jailbraked. I used a legit IPSW for 4.1 as per the instructions in the linked thread below to kick the phone out of the recovery loop. If i used a custom IPSW, I get thrown back into the loop. SO, the only sucessfull way I've found to get out of it, is to use the IPSW, iPhone1%2C2_4.1_8B117_Restore.IPSW. SO, that leaves redsn0w to JB... as of right now I can't find the redsn0w to go along with that IPSW... every one I try that is supposed to work gives me errors. Perhaps because I'm using the ipad BB or something... I'm gonna keep troubleshooting.

Do I have to have a functioning SIM card for redsn0w to function? If so, then I guess I'll try your suggestion.

Trevor

17. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, so that worked. Put in the old SIM card (belonging to its original carrier) and the phone works. I'm currently at version 4.1 with BB 6.15.0.

I've since tried to go back to a pwned IPSW, and I get the same error and can't boot it out of recovery. Tried running the TSS server during update as well...

So basically, I'm looking to JB the phone using redsn0w for a version 4.1 with a BB of 6.15.0. Is this possible? I've tired a few methods, but no success as of yet.

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you are on 4.1 with BB 6.15 (ipad BB) that means you used a custom iPWS which it should be JBed already, I am either missing or misunderstanding something or you are just overlooking your Jailbreak.

19. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, according to the thread linked above to another forum, it was recommended to me that I use a legit IPSW, and then I'll get the 1015 error as before, but RecBoot 1.0.2. will actually be sucessfull at kicking me out of recovery mode. That's what I did, and it worked. I don't think I'm JBed as I don't see the cydia app. Although, I do see "carrier" in my settings.

20. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Success! I used this IPSW developed by someone... I was googling the error code and came across an instruction that used this ISPW file. His instructions didn't work, but I restored the phone using it and I'm in! w00t! Thanks for all the help guys!

http://jailbreaker.fr/telechargement...cktivated.ipsw