Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdguy6904

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
San Diego
OK, I got an iPod Touch for Xmas.

In reading these posts on here, it seems many iPod Touch owners have chosen to Jailbreak.

As of yet, I have not done so.

What are the real pros and cons to jailbreaking?

I know one con to JB is that warranty on the iPod Touch will be void. What are some other cons to JB?

When SDK comes out in February and 3rd-Party developers start putting out apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch, will jailbreaking be needed anymore?

Retired
May 16, 2006
You can restore the touch to bring back the warranty, the only small con is that it takes up some space on your touch.

We don't know the SDK details, so can't judge it...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
OK, I got an iPod Touch for Xmas.

In reading these posts on here, it seems many iPod Touch owners have chosen to Jailbreak.

As of yet, I have not done so.

What are the real pros and cons to jailbreaking?

I know one con to JB is that warranty on the iPod Touch will be void. What are some other cons to JB?

When SDK comes out in February and 3rd-Party developers start putting out apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch, will jailbreaking be needed anymore?

It won't void your warranty unless you send it in Jailbroken to them.

You can easily restore the iPod touch to what it was when you first bought it, leaving no evidence behind.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
It pretty much rests on whether you can be bothered with re-jailbreaking with every new software that comes out. I personally only really used the iPhone apps when my iPod touch was jailbroken. So I was happy to conform to the software update. If you like the idea of having extra games etc before the new apps come out in feb then jailbreak. There's good guides and pleanty of support on these forums if you get stuck. And you can always restore if you need to.

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
Jailbraking is not really worth it. Their are only a handful of programs that are decent. NES emulator is cool but not really fun to play because the touch buttons kinda suck. I would say my favorite programs were doodle and apollo (aim) but you can still aim, and doodle is not worth jailbraking the ipod every time.

Domofloge

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
New Jersey
It is definitely worth jailbreaking. I mean you have the option to download hundreds of 3rd party software. It takes 5 minutes. If you don't like it, then just restore it. Then you magically have your warranty back.. So its a win win situation if you think about it. :D

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
IMO, the only useful JB ap was AFPd. And really, the 1.1.3 functionality I lost wasn't even worth that. I'm all for jailbreaking in principle, but the (admittedly) hundreds of aps I found just weren't all that useful.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
IMO, the only useful JB ap was AFPd. And really, the 1.1.3 functionality I lost wasn't even worth that. I'm all for jailbreaking in principle, but the (admittedly) hundreds of aps I found just weren't all that useful.

I feel the same way. Yeah, lots of apps... but only a handful of them worked well. I only used about 5 apps. Terminal (for extra hacking), Customize (home screen layout), Sketches (I can live without it), Installer and VNSea (iPhone Remote does this too on a non-jailbroken iPod)

bodhammer

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I jailbroke my touch but I would prefer to have real apps. The apps I have added to my touch are:

Notepad, Mail, Weather, Stocks, Maps - I would pay for these if I could add the below as well.

Stumbler - gives me more info on Wifi - not critical but nice to have.

WiFi Toggle - quick to save battery - functionality does exist in the settings, this is just quicker

Converter - Unit converter - very handy for me (this is a great example of a $1.99 -$2.99 application)

Games: Go, Chess, Backgammon - I would love to have iBlackjack (complete with insurance, splits, ect.) and a good Craps game.

HP12C calculator - this is a very nice to have app for me and really well done, 11C version is nice as well

ToDo List - This is an app I want but I also want Outlook sync, same with notes. This is something the Palm has done well for years with PocketMirror, etc.

Lockbox - this is the app I want most to be "official". This is the one app keeping me from retiring the Palm. I have 100 passwords, credit card numbers, and account numbers/PINS stored in my palm and the database is sync's at both home and work. Having a hacked touch concerns me and I have not stored any real numbers in here. I would pay for this app to be signed, secured, and sealed!

I'm more than willing to pay $2-10 per app for the above.

Things I think are still missing on the touch:
Real Acrobat Reader
Disk Storage - I truly don't understand why this is not enabled on the touch
Caps Lock - so annoying
Flash

Bod

pizz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
There are some great apps under jailbreak but if you can just wait 1 more month when Apple releases their SDK. I think i'm going to hold on to my 1.1.1 jailbroken version until it comes out and go the SDK route. You will get all the 3rd party apps you can want with the added bonus of quality control which you don't get now with jailbreak.

xSuperbleederx

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
i know this is an old thread but i got one question

if i jailbreak will i still be able to use and download from the apps store?

thanks

Josh101

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
It won't void your warranty unless you send it in Jailbroken to them.

You can easily restore the iPod touch to what it was when you first bought it, leaving no evidence behind.

Atually the ipod touch saves a log of what has happened to the ipod, they can examine this and find out it you have JB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.