jb tethering question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuseone, Oct 19, 2010.

1. fuseone macrumors member

Hi, I want to know is there any free app that i can use to tether my iphone to my computer or a ipad. Also will I lose my unlimted data plan if I would do that? Thank you ahead of time for any anwsers.

2. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

If your familiar with ssh you can do the commcentrt hack and enable native tethering and keep your unlimited plan. Just do a search on here or google for commcenter hack.

3. fuseone thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No I'm not but I will take a look. Is it hard to do?

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

With the walk thru on here, it was pretty easy. If your on a Mac I recommend using cyberduck(program you will need on your computer to be able to do this) I'm not to familiar with the windows equivalent if cyberduck but it shouldn't be to hard to find. Oh, when you look at the walk thru on here make sure you download the correct commcenter patch. It depends on what ios you're using.

5. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I forgot about this, you could just download tetherme from cydia. It does the same thing minus you having to actually do the work. It's only $2. Plus that would save you some time in the future should you ever have to restore your phone for any reason.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Most of us either use MyWi or a combo of TetherMe/iTether to tether an iPad to an iPhone. Stock ipads can only be tethered via a wifi hotspot, which isn't provided by either the commcenter hack or TetherMe. They can be tethered via Bluetooth tethering only if you JB them first and install iTether ($5 through Cydia); they can't be tethered at all via USB.

MyWi is probably the easiest solution, but the most expensive at $20. TetherMe/iTether works reasonably well most of the time, costs $7 for both, and doesn't eat the iphone's battery quite as fast, but it hasn't been a perfectly reliable combo for everyone, and it does require that you jailbreak both devices.