JB/unlock MC 3GS 3.1.3/5.12.01 Modem?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kiwibrave, May 1, 2010.

1. kiwibrave macrumors newbie

Apologies upfront if I am redundant. I have read through MANY blogs on MANY sites (including this one), trying to understand the current situation.

New iPhone user (purchased in January of this year). Sadly using AT&T (had hopes of transferring to Verizon this summer, which have now been dashed). Obviously went thru the February update, before I knew anything about JB & unlock and SHSH repositories. The main function I want is the ability to tether.

I have read differing accounts of what is possible:
    1) most folks are saying to wait for the Spirit JB, which now has an unknown release date
    2) I found a few posts that say you CAN downgrade an mc 3GS using the restore function and a downloaded version of 3.1.2? and then follow with redsn0w?

Has anyone tried the downgrade on an mc 3GS 3.1.3?
    What are the likely problems if I try this?
    I would like to try, but since I am not exactly a tech geek or a mac expert, I am a bit hesitant. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm drawing a blank on what you mean by 'mc', but if you have 3GS on 3.1.3 that has never been jailbroken, you cannot jailbreak it, period. There is conflicting/confusing info out there, but if you check just this forum you'll see what I mean about it being impossible.

When spirit comes out there will be jailbreak for these phones, but no unlock as I understand it.

3. kiwibrave thread starter macrumors newbie

mc/mb

model reference- apparently there is a difference in hackability between the two.

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Ok, in that case I will defer to others more knowledgeable, although in all the 3GS 3.1.3 threads I've seen, I've never seen them say "you're out of luck unless it's mc". Still, always willing to learn something new.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're out of luck.
    You cannot do either right now.
    We should see the "Spirit JB" come out soon but definetelly not an unlock for a while.
    And unless you have your SHSH's saved thru cydia or locally for 3.1.2 or any previous firmware you will not be able to restore to anything but the latest 3.1.3
    And if you're staying with AT&T you dont really need an unlock unless you want to use it on Tmobile, sell it or use it internationally with other simcards.

6. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

FALSE !
    This difference is only applicable to JB-ing iPod touches. For an iPhone it means nothing!