JB workaround for proximity sensor problems (idea)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TruckdriverSean, Sep 13, 2010.

1. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

While I don't personally have any proximity sensor problems, I can appreciate just how frustrating this would be for those that do. Add to that the fact that 4.1 only seems to fix "most" of the sensor issues, and I think it's time for another look at a JB community fix.

So here's my workaround idea. (note: I'm a typical non-geek iPhone user, so be gentle (and speak slowly) if this is off-base.)

During a Bluetooth or speaker-phone call, you can press the sleep/wake button to disable the touchscreen. You can't do this during a regular earpiece call because the iPhone will end the call by default when the sleep/wake button is pressed.

What about tweaking the system to allow sleep/wake activation without automatically ending the call?

This certainly wouldn't be a perfect solution, but might offer a degree of relief in what would seem a (hopefully) simple software tweak.

Sean

2. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Great idea! I'm not a programmer but I must admit, if all I have to do is press the sleep wake while in a call and I have no issues, I will be a very happy camper. Any programmers out there think this is a simple tweak? or is this much harder to do than it sounds?

3. Cupra macrumors regular

+1 on this...

maybe an activator plug in to do this would work too

4. outz macrumors 6502

5. gouda272 macrumors regular

the crash guard on the app store is great for this. i have a jb device and set it so after i make a call i just go to the home screen and swipe down from the top and it activates the program. it shows you how many times it prevented an accidental screen touch.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I saw a thread about that app. It would be nice if there was a way to get it automatically run after you make or receive a call. What would be even nicer though is if 4.1 actually fixes the problem:D. I'm patiently waiting for the 4.1 jb so I can see for myself.

7. gouda272 macrumors regular

same here

8. TruckdriverSean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not to bother folks with an almost dead thread topic, but there's still a lot of frustrated folks out there with prox sensor issues.

So devs, is this a possible workaround or just a non-starter?

Sean

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I'm not so sure that the kind of devs you're looking for are just lingering around the MR forums....

Might wanna try some people who actually make tweaks. @chpwn comes to mind, among others.