JB4.0.1 to 4.1 is that still possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by starstreak, Nov 25, 2010.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I have a JB 4.0.1 on my iPhone4. My computer dloaded 4.2 already. Is it still possible to get 4.1 on my iphone and JB that version? In other words, I'm a bit at a loss. Since 4.2 is in my itunes, I don't know how to get 4.1 on my phone anymore.

2. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

yes - in the guides at the top of the hack forum here they should list the instructions/where to grab the 4.1.

That is, as long as when you log into Cydia, it lists 4.1 up at the top.

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean this sticky? "New to the iPhone World? Facts for OS 1.0.0 to 4.1.0
    "
    I found the .zip, which I take it, I'll need to rename .ipsw but from there, it doesn't say what to do with the file or where to put it.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Is your iPhone 4 on 4.2 right now?

5. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

No, still on the 4.0.1. But the itunes dloaded the 4.1, but then dloaded 4.2. So I lost my 4.1 in itunes.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Your iPhone was never connected during this? Did you have Cydia or used TinyUmbrella to save your iPhone shsh files? Open up Cydia and see if your iPhone has the files saved. Would be at the top of the screen saying "SHSH save for: ....."

If they are saved for 4.1 you can upgrade using this guide: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557 <--Windows Route

Or if you have a Mac you can create a custom ipsw for 4.1 and use PwnageTool. Follow that guide here: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12348

Do you need the unlock or are you on an official carrier?

*edit* never mind your sig. says you don't have a mac.

7. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I still have 4.0.1 which is jailbroken only. I didn't do the update to 4.1 thinking I was going to get 4.2 but with the issues it has, I could get by with 4.1.
    I'm on AT&T network so it didn't need to be unlocked.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Okay. Since you have AT&T and don't need the unlock you can update to 4.1 only if you have the shsh files saved (since you don't want to go to 4.2.x).

Apple (I believe) isn't signing 4.1 anymore, so the only way to upgrade to 4.1 is by using the shsh files. Otherwise your only option is 4.2.x

9. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Can u point me to which help topic will get me that shsh file? It's not that I don't ever want to get the 4.2.1, just not now being it's still tethered still.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I don't think you can save the 4.1 shsh anymore but you can download TinyUmbrella here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

If you open up Cydia you can see at the top of screen for which SHSH files you have saved.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can also update to custom JB 4.1 ipsw created with pwnage tool.

12. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like this is what I need to do. But if I do this way, will I have issues in upgrading inthe future because this is a custom firmware?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, no matter what you do you can always update or restore to official firmware thru itunes.
    Or with custom firmware again if you wish to do so.

14. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

here is where it is located on cydia if you have it - the area I boxed in yellow :

[​IMG]

15. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine says 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2b3
    But I only have 4.0.1 so I dunno how I got the other shsh if I needed to back that up myself.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you dont need to do anything besides the first time you click make my life easier on cydia.
    After that it automaticly saves all new SHSH's available for you even if you never updated to them yet.
    Gotta love Saurik.

17. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok sweet. So all I need to do now is find 4.1. And jb it.

18. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so from which step do I need to follow? Do I need to downgrade shsh thing that was noted above even though I'm not really downgrading since I have 4.0.1? And do I dload the 4.1 that was noted in" "New to the iPhone World? Facts for OS 1.0.0 to 4.1.0" where I have to rename the iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.zip to iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw?

19. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If I'm not mistaken, download that file (renaming if necessary), and either Pwnage or TinyUmbrella + Greenpois0n

They're instructions all over here, and on the respective sites as well, IIRC>

20. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

21. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks! Btw, did you have to re-download all your apps again?

22. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

yeap! I didnt use pgbackup, just a piece of paper and noting what i have. But it is quick to redownload and repopulate your iphone back to how it is as before. But on 4.1 :)

gdluck!

23. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is not so much redloading everything, it's loosing my saves. Like my pocket frogs (lol), etc.

24. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I did it yesterday. Alot harder than I thought. I followed it to the end. Err it stopped just after putting 4.1. But didn't JB. I had to find another link to JB 4.1. Then for some reason it wouldn't JB although it completed the JB steps. Then I found another post that said I should have iTunes running in the background. Then it worked.
    All in all, I think it took about an hour or so. Not including the time to put back my apps.
    Thanks for the help guys!

Now watch, the'll JB the 4.2.1 in a day or two without tethering. :)