JB'd 3.1.2 3GS - Can I go to 3.1.3?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bag302, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Bag302 macrumors regular

There are some apps (like Netflix) that require 3.1.3 that I'd like to get.

My 3GS was JB'd with BlackRa1n 3.1.2

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Double check in cydia first to make sure it says at the top that they have SHSH blobs for 3.1.3 for your device. Quick question why not move on to 4.0?

3. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Strangely, I came to the forum today for this exact question as well.

On JB 3.1.2 -- never upgraded past that, and now I'm needing 3.1.3 to run Netflix. Don't want to go to iOS 4 because I've heard it'll kill the resale value if I do (and because the current version of iOS 4 isn't jailbroken).

Any advice?

4. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

My understanding was that there's no jailbreak for the current version of 4.0 that's out there -- and I've also heard (perhaps mistakenly) that you lose the ability to unlock once you upgrade to 4.0, and that you can never get that abiltiy back. I've heard that hurts the resale value on a 3GS considerably.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Incorrect on ALL counts.

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

+100

7. Bag302 thread starter macrumors regular

Cydia says SHSH is on file.

Not really sure I like 4.0 just using it on my wife's IP4. Plus, I plan on selling it in a couple of months. Like the poster before me, I'd like to maximize the resale value.

What next? Thanks

8. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

The devteam blog specifically states there is no jailbreak for 4.0.2. That's the version I'd be upgrading to through iTunes, correct?

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

To OP, do you have old or new bottom (tethered)? If old, your should be pwned. Thus, you can upgrade by creating / finding a custom 3.1.3 firmware to restore with. Just to be safe, make sure you have hashes saved so you can still restore to JB firmware if something goes wrong. You can find out by main window in Cydia or using tinyumbrella.

10. Bag302 thread starter macrumors regular

The bolded parts are the ones I don't understand.:eek:

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You should have your SHSH blobs saved if you already JB and clicked 'make my life easier' in cydia. If this is the case nothing prevents you from going to 4.0 which is fully JBable.

12. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

When your reboot your phone, does it startup normally (old bootrom) or does it get stuck at Apple USB cable image & you must run blackrain to continue (new bottom = tethered)? If first, means your phone is pwned and JB. Pwned phones can accept / run unsign code = custom firmware from pwnagetool and snowbreeze. And, as long as you stay pwned = upgrade only using custom firmware, you can pretty much install any firmware without worry about SHSH hashes.

SHSH hashes are what Apple uses to prevent 3GS and IP4 from installing firmware they don't want. Thus, right now, Apple only allow you to install 4.0.2 and without hashes saved from previous firmware, you won't be able to install them.

I would suggest you do some major research before trying to update your firmware or we will be very sorry you did.

13. Bag302 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your patience and explanation. FWIW, My phone reboots without a tether.

I'll do some reading.