JB'ing a 3.0/4.26 3GS with Redsn0w - Quick Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gmas, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Gmas macrumors member

Ok so I thought I had a handle on this, but after reading through the step-by-step guide on iclarified, I have a question....

So I want to jailbreak my 3GS which is currently running firmware 3.0 and has the older 4.26 bootrom. Ideally I want to get it running the newest 3.X or even 4.0.1 firmware.

I inquired/confirmed here in the past, and was told jailbreaking with redsn0w, then using Pwnage Tool to create a custom firmware was the best path.

Looking at the redsn0w walkthrough though, it looks like you have to d/l the new firmware you want and redsn0w installs it during the jailbreaking process.

So what is the point of using Pwnage afterwards if redsn0w installs a newer firmware already???

Maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks!

2. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Was digging around a little more and people suggest Pwnage to preserve the older 4.26.08 baseband.

Will using redsn0w not preserve it as well and result in it being updated???

I guess as I understand it now, both are JB tools so I'm wondering why use both and not just one or the other.

3. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

really depends on your choice of which OS, 3.1.X or 4.0+

check out...http://jailbreakmatrix.com/

will show you which can and cant be unlocked or JB.

GL, hope that helps.

4. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man.

I guess I'm just a little confused as to why people suggested using both - redsn0w first, then Pwnage.

Since they're both JB tools, what would using Pwnage afterwards do that redsn0w didn't already do? And why not just use Pwnage in the first place then?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Preserving old baseband is outdated since Ultrasn0w now unlocks all current basebands and is about to be updated to unlock iphone 4 baseband 1.59.xx

4.26.xx is not old bootrom, it's a baseband.

A 3GS can only be jailbroken on iOS 4 if it's old bootrom (not old baseband) currently jailbroken and used with a custom restore IPSW which you make with Pwnage Tool.

6. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhhhh I think I got it now.

So to jailbreak a 3GS and run iOS4 requires 2 things then?

1. Jailbreaking the old bootrom with redsn0w
    2. Then using Pwnage Tool to create a custom iOS4 IPSW and restoring to that.

Is that right?

Very much appreciate the help here :)