Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Has anyone ever changed the LEDs in the Creature IIs? If so, was it easy? I'm not a soldering expert, though I bet my dad could do a fine job. I've read that some white sets come (or did) with blue LEDs and that silver ones had green LEDs. But my silver ones have white LEDs (though the manual it came with stated they were green). Would it just be possible to buy a set of white Creature IIs with blue LEDs?

satellit-black.jpg

Either everyone hates me, or there really is no answer. Anyways, should I just put out a little more and go for the SoundSticks II? I've read that they are better than the Creatures. Does anyone recommend the SoundSticks over the Creatures?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
briantology said:
Either everyone hates me, or there really is no answer. Anyways, should I just put out a little more and go for the SoundSticks II? I've read that they are better than the Creatures. Does anyone recommend the SoundSticks over the Creatures?

why not just open one up and have a look. ? if it is a led, take it down to the local electronics store and see if you can get one the same but in blue

aussie_geek

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
i have the black creature IIs coming right now. i wish it was a blue LED, but oh well. as far as i know, it's not so easy to swap out the LEDs, but if your dad can solder well, he just might be able to do it.

only way to really find out about what kind of job it would be, though, is to open one up.

if you do - make sure to post your findings!

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
SpankyPenzaanz said:
you could always use colored saranwrap - its very ghetto:D
haha.. i have a feeling that wouldn't turn out so nice. even if you got the saranwrap on nicely, think about the color you'd ultimately be getting. green + anything is bound to look like poop.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I have a set of white creature speakers, with blue LEDs I would sell if you interested, not sure if your asking for that or not, but thought I would offer it up.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Koodauw said:
I have a set of white creature speakers, with blue LEDs I would sell if you interested, not sure if your asking for that or not, but thought I would offer it up.

When and where did you buy them?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Old Smuggler said:
soldering isnt as easy as it looks

Yes it is.

Get yourself a voltmeter and test the voltage on the LED. It is probably 3.3V or something like that.

http://www.lsdiodes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index

They have some great leds. Some are very bright too.

You then get some desoldering braid and remove the old LED, solder in the new one. And you are done.

It is in fact very easy Old Smuggler is projecting his inability to do it, as a universal truth.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If you do change them yourself (which is very easy to do) make sure you get the polarity of the new ones right!

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
suneohair said:
Yes it is.

Get yourself a voltmeter and test the voltage on the LED. It is probably 3.3V or something like that.

http://www.lsdiodes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index

They have some great leds. Some are very bright too.

You then get some desoldering braid and remove the old LED, solder in the new one. And you are done.

It is in fact very easy Old Smuggler is projecting his inability to do it, as a universal truth.

Yes, soldering is well easy, you just need the right kind of soldering iron. And remember to use pre-fluxed solder!

I am now on the hunt for some blue LED's to replace the green ones in my black creatures. It might take a while, but ill post pics when i do it.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
JDN said:

I think he was referring to my dilema, just telling me to buy some Creatures disregarding what color the LEDs were. In the end, I think I'm going to get the SoundSticks II

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.