Jeeeezzze

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RichardI, Aug 3, 2012.

1. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Is apple ever going to release any new actual computers?? Phones and tablets are all well and good, but I want a computer!! I'm waiting to buy a new iMac! Come on boys, Mr. Jobs would be very agitated.....

I fear that the focus of Apple has gone from great products to great profits. Remember that great profits come from great products. Remember IBM?

End rant.

Rich :mad:

2. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I hear ya! and I share the pain. But don't really see the point of a new thread for this. we all want to scream of frustration, but you don't really need a separate thread for this. IMO

3. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I honestly believe we are seeing the end of the last few iterations of the iMac. If the iMac to be released later this year (or earlier next year) isn't the last, I am convinced there will not be too many more after it; perhaps one or two more.

Apple is becoming more a "gadget" company. There is not anything wrong with that, but it's more about getting all your gadgets synced than it is about actual computing.

My 2¢. Take it for exactly what it's worth.

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

No way Apple will stop making a desktop computer anytime soon. Until laptops get desktop grade CPUs and GPUs, they will make a desktop.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Jeeeezzze, Apple doesn't exist to make computers, it exists to make money for it's shareholders. Desktop computers are a tiny part of its business. And probably more important than the numbers indicate, but still small.

iPhones and iPads are computers, BTW, and suffice for many people. They are no longer poor imitations of what's sitting on your desk.

IBM is perhaps a good comparison, but it doesn't help your argument. It spun off its PC hardware part to Lenovo in order to concentrate on a more profitable part of its business, since PC hardware became a commodity. Perhaps Apple might do the same, and decide it's a mobile computing company, and concentrate on iOS and laptops. IBM's stock has been rising over the last 5 years, so maybe they are headed in the right direction. Maybe Apple doesn't need desktops any more.

6. snow blind macrumors regular

Agree completely. Apple used to be big with professionals. Now they are big with soccer mom's and students. iToys make up most of their business and laptops most of their computers... i wouldn't be surprised at all to see the iMac and MacPro disappear within 3 or so years.

I do however believe that the MacMini will continue to live on as a super compact, SSD packing media consumption "post-pc" device in one way or another.

7. applefiend95 macrumors regular

blue screen

i am really frustrated right now. my PC just went blue screen on me. it will probably not last very long and i really need this upgrade.... i'm on an HP compaq 6710b core2duo 2.1GHz, 4GB ram, 320GB HDD. any upgrade will be very appreciable.

8. laserfan macrumors member

Completely wrong! Yes iToys are a huge business for Apple, and guess what is happening? Everyone who owns & loves those iToys are going to want a Mac (an iMac!) to use with it.

We have lotsa PCs but our new iPhones are so cool we need an iMac to companion with them!

Mountain Lion ain't movin' in the direction of iOS for nuthin'! ;)

9. RustyMacVet macrumors member

Personally I think Apple is going to do something big (not this year) that will make Macs become the computer of choice for gamers/companies/parents/businesses/etc.

The iToys are a shoe in, like installing pieces of a puzzle in all the homes in the world, and in a couple years Apple will release an iMac or something of the like that completes it.

10. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Couldn't agree more. Apple will become a household brand. Look at how iPod became synonymous with MP3 player and how iPhone will begin to do the same for smartphones.

11. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

Apple is understandably justified in focusing on mobile products or gadgets, as you would prefer to call them (i.e., iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, etc.), because they are Apple's main source of revenue. It's true that desktops put Apple back on the map and prevented them from near extinction, but the market at that time was a home user/desktop user one, and so Apple revolutionized the desktop. The world and it's technology are transitioning to mobile products, and to keep in line with current trends, Apple must follow suit if they are to succeed as a tech company. Due to this, they have also revolutionized the smartphone, laptop, and tablet industries. iGadgets are great gateway devices to Macs, so Apple must channel their efforts in order to continue creating great mobile products, because those will eventually introduce users to their Macs. It happened with me, was a Windows user all my life, always shunned Apple products out of ignorance, had a great and powerful Alienware laptop (fully specced out). Had an iPod Nano for exercise, wanted an iPod Touch for increased storage and media, plus entertainment. Got an iPod touch, but never really used it that much, just for music listening. After I upgraded it to iOS 5, started to play with it more and then began to realize how great it was and iCloud, and I had always used iTunes on Windows to manage my media (hated Zune and WMplayer). Because of iTunes and owning both an iPod Nano and Touch, I was already a member of the Apple ecosystem. That led me to pick up an iPad, and I was like this is even greater. It didn't dawn on me to pick up a Mac because I enjoyed gaming on my Windows PC (I foolishly believed Macs were incapable of great gaming and they weren't really known for gaming anyway) until I was browsing the Apple online store one day and then went to the Mac section, and then the rest was history. I saw the iMac and then I knew then and there I wanted a Mac! To add to my enjoyment, the iMac was more than capable of great gaming performance because it contained great components. I sold my Windows PC! I then ventured to wait like the rest of you for the new iMac that has yet to be released :( In the interim, I got a MacBook Air and I'm just blown away by it! I love it! I am never going back to Windows! To summarize iPod Nano --> iPod Touch --> new iPad --> MBA --> iMac 2012! iGadgets make Apple money, as you can clearly see!

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If this comment had been written in January of 2007, it would've made sense.

13. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Which is EXACTLY why I am moving away from :apple: products.