Jeepers MR...100+ ad scripts on one page???

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by brewmonkey, Apr 1, 2016.

1. brewmonkey macrumors regular

Come on guys...I know you need to keep the lights on, but isn't that taking it a little far?

2. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

MR crashes the web browser on my iPad 4 a lot.

3. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

i've now installed one of these custom hosts files which sets all the ads and tracking sites to 0.0.0.0 and the site works much better.
    I'm not opposed to ads on sites I like but I want to site to load in a reasonable time and not crash my browser!

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There's a few sites getting like that. I'm happy to pay for macrumours so I don't have to look at it but it's all becoming a bit to much on other sites.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

AdBlock Plus for PC/Mac browsers and BlockBear for iOS devices makes it all go away. I'm not against supporting this and other sites like it but when the load times are tripled and we often have to click away ads just to see a post it's ridiculous. I'm thankful they give us tools to combat the onslaught of unscrupulous ads, it can really ruin the experience of a site. I'm also on board with paying a small subscription fee to avoid them, this way you can support the site and have a more pleasant browsing experience.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Great point but some sites are so slap dash with ads that cpu cycles are eaten up holding the floodgates closed.

7. brewmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed - I'm happy to support worthwhile sites, but there's a fine line past which it gets too much (a point which almost every site has pretty much pole-vaulted over).

Just FYI, I think browser-based ad blockers (such as Adblock Plus) are a lot more efficient than blocking stuff via hosts-file.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    The notion of subscriptions to avoid ads is one solution, but I rather prefer another option that I think is far more sustainable for all stakeholders in the long run. That option would be a good-faith undertaking on the part of the big ad engines to disallow any and all flashing, popping, expanding, auto-playing, Flash, and Java items on a page. If they could simply use clean, benign, safe (!) HTML5 techniques for displaying ads, none of this ad blocking fervor ever would have taken place. The slew of op-ed bits from site owners decrying that users with ad blockers are the devil and spell doom for the Internets is petulant, self-serving rubbish. Protecting oneself from malicious attack vectors spreading through ad engines like wildfire is not just convenience, but rather a pure security necessity at this point.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sorry, but are complaining against the number of ads or the type of ads? Both are fixed by becoming a supporter, but they're two different issues.

To address the latter, MR endourages readers to report loud/annoying/deceptive ads to them, and Arn generally takes care of them himself, and quite promptly I might ad.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Attaching a screenshot of the offending adverts helps @arn to identify and remove them quickly.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think the OP's comment is so much a complaint about the ads themselves, but rather the background JS running on the site. I'm guessing OP has something like JSBlocker and it shows ad-based JS.

As a test, I just installed JS Blocker and here is what it shows. I don't know where OP gets "100+", but I see 34 JS processes several look ad-related. This is on the forum front page while not logged in to my forum account.

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.17.53 AM.png