Jeff Conaway, Zack Allen on "Babylon 5", dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, May 27, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link

This is sad. This guy certainly had his share of good luck, but it sounds like he had even more bad luck.

I enjoyed him on Babylon 5. It's kind of bizarre that a show made in the mid-1990s already has three of its stars dead. In addition to Conaway, Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin) and Andreas Katsulas (Ambassador G'Kar) are no longer with us. Biggs was the most surprising: he was only 44 and in excellent shape.

Well, rest in peace, Jeff. Thanks for the laughs and the adventure.

[​IMG]

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

RIP Jeff. Taxi was one of the best comedies ever.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't call addiction bad luck. He made his choices, and unfortunately they weren't good ones.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I was a big Taxi and Babylon 5 fan. This a sad news :(

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ Doesn't sound like a choice to me.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? Was someone else putting the pills in his mouth? Yes, he was injured on the set, 30 years ago. He continued to use throughout the years, and it eventually caught up with him.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

B5 was one of the first things I watched start to finish when we first got Netflix.
    I think his character, while very well done, was rather overlooked.

This. He did it to himself, and it sucks.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Unless he sought out the injury as an excuse to get started on painkillers -- yes, really.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, 30+ years of taking drugs and it really isn't his fault. Just bad luck.:rolleyes:

10. rhett7660, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was going to post that exact scene! One of the best scenes in the shows history if you ask me. I laugh hard every time I watch that scene.

RIP Mr. Conaway.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sad to hear when this happens to such a wonderful person...

Big "Grease" and "Babylon 5" fan...

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Babylon 5 was one of the best Scifi TV shows ever.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Have you ever been severely addicted yourself? Did you get that way via prescribed medication for an accidental injury? Do you know for a fact that getting over it is as easy as simply making a choice? Did you read the parts about how he'd been in rehab? Do you think the physical and sexual abuse he suffered was his choice?

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes I read that he had done rehab. Lots of people go through rehab and are healed. It is unfortunate that he was not able to overcome his addictions, but instead continued to abuse drugs. Of course I don't think he chose to be abused as a kid, it is a ridiculous statement.

At what point does he stop being a victim and become responsible for his own actions? For you, I guess it is never.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, as someone who once suffered from a mental disorder which affected my own judgment, I'm reluctant to jump all over others for not making the right choices. Yes, now that my head is on straight, I've made the decision never to allow myself to go back to where I was. But mine wasn't a severe case.

And...I've never been addicted to anything. I have known people who have been, however. Some have overcome their addictions; others kept going back, and ultimately one died in the throes of his drug of choice. I've no idea how bad their addiction affects their judgment, how deeply the craving affects their minds -- even after they've been released from rehab. So I allow for the possibility that for some, the addictive personality is so powerful that once they are on the stuff, their judgment is never really the same again.

Ultimately I suppose scientists will determine whether my belief is more valid than yours. All I know right now is that mine is a less comforting one.

16. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I bet that your suggestion to getting over depression is "stop being so depressed"?

There's a reason they call drug-addiction "addiction". That is, you are addicted to the stuff. You do know what "addiction" is, do you? Yes, many people get addicted because of their own stupidity, but it seems that in this case there indeed was bad luck involved.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Everyone suffers adversity during their lifetime and it's their choices in response to their adversity that define them (i.e. the adversity is not their fault in many cases but they should take responsibility for the choices they make in responding to the adversity).

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bet your response to adversity is "Its not my fault, I'm a victim!":rolleyes:

You do know what personal responsibility is, don't you? He abused drugs for over 30 years. He is hardly an innocent victim. While it is unfortunate that he became hooked on the stuff as a result of an injury, it does not absolve him of the years of using.

19. TheOrganization macrumors newbie

Give us the negative, Mr. Veil.

20. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

Your lack of compassion for another human being is astounding. It is not possible for anyone to truly understand what Jeff went through in his life and yet you are all too happy to condem him for making poor choices. I hope one day soon you realise that making superficial judgements is not a healthy way to treat people.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a manifestation of your circumstances, and in that case I would suggest you look deep within to find your humanity again.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Find my humanity again? Please, what a load of crap.:rolleyes:

I find no joy in the fact that he died at a relatively young age of 60. I just don't think that he is an innocent victim. His death is a result of 30 years of something that he voluntarily did.

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

One doesn't have to play the victim to feel empathy for another person's problems.

Maybe, maybe not. We do know he was in and out of rehab, and obviously it didn't work.

Uh-oh. Someone's on to me. :p

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's still sad, though, that he put himself through that. You start to wonder, he more than likely could lead a nice life just getting the residuals from "Grease", "Taxi", and "Babylon 5", and convention appearances with fans.